• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Ever have one of those Thanksgivings...

Chicken

NLC
NLC
Ever have one of those Thanksgivings when you go over to your relatives house and after dinner they mention that they still haven't gotten their laptop connected to the internet (the topic of last Thanksgiving)? Last time they needed a PCMCIA 10/100 card, and since last Thanksgiving that's as far as they got.

So dinner ends and they mention it. Do they have the drivers for the card? Nope. Use their terribly slow ancient other computer to download the drivers for the NIC. Do they have the software for their DSL service? Nope. Go to Earthlink's site and of course they don't have a PPPoE program for WinME.

Search the internet seemingly endlessly for a free WinME PPPoE program to get their donkey connected and finally find one where the site isn't down, it works, etc. (searching for freeware is sometimes a bit annoying, heh). Of course it is zipped so I had to download a Zip program.

Throw it all on the other computer (zip, NIC, and PPPoE programs) and you'd think they'd know their password, eh? Nope, they spend 1/2 hour looking for that. Geeeep eeeeerrrrrrr zibzibzib. Calming down...

Get the password and she then wants to send/receive email. Do we know how to set up Outlook? Of course not. Go to back to Earthlink and find the mail servers, and of course email has another password (15 minutes of searching for that). Then she wants to send pictures. She can send one, just not more than one. Show her how to attach more than one. Then they want to know how to set up different users on the computer...

ARGH! It was like a tech support holiday! At least the dinner was good... :D

I know how you feel Chicken!

You ought to try explaining to your family what you do for a living, they look at you like web hosting is something illegal because they dont' comprehend it.

I stopped by my great Aunts and she sent me home with her 200Mhz Gateway 2000 (yes, 2000). It took 2 hours and 45 minutes to format the 2GB hard drive. :rolleyes:

Chicken, I can totally relate.

Yesterday (Thanksgiving day), my uncle calls me into his office (after dinner) an says "Look, I got a new laptop". I was like "cool".

He than pulls out a 10/100 wireless PCMCI card and says "for some reason, I can't getonline with this card". So I ask "wheres your wireless router? and since when do you have dsl/cable?"

He says "a router? whats dsl/cable?"

I say "oh man.."

and left the house.

So....

At the elementary school I used to attend some number of years back, recently got some new computers(30+ of p4 1.6ghz 256mb ddr). Dunno how they can afford it.

And who did they ask for help configuring them to work with the fiber optic connection?

Imagine going to all of the 30+ classes, setting up Windows XP on all of them, rummaging through wires to see which ports they're connected to on the router, configuring users, firewall, drivers, etc. etc.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Daniel
So....

At the elementary school I used to attend some number of years back, recently got some new computers(30+ of p4 1.6ghz 256mb ddr). Dunno how they can afford it.

And who did they ask for help configuring them to work with the fiber optic connection?

Imagine going to all of the 30+ classes, setting up Windows XP on all of them, rummaging through wires to see which ports they're connected to on the router, configuring users, firewall, drivers, etc. etc.

Are you complaining?

5 of us, including me, had to setup over 800 computers when our school opened up. 200 classes. We had to do everything..what a hassle. They were running Win95 (this was back in 1997).

that would suck to have to fix everyones computer on thanksgiving, good thing everyone in my family knows how to setup and work computers:)

Back