• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Dreamhost review

Antonio

RicherMan.Com
NLC
I have stayed with them for 3 month.

Giveing the devil his due, they are stable and have a nice uptime.
It is happy to stay with them when you are running a small site. but when uniques ip grows it is not fit with them as they will limited CPU usage.
my sites are about 2500 uniques ip in total,
the CPU use time

Process CPU seconds user machine count average
php.cgi 5203.2300 99.999% 21.680% 29487 0.176

the mysql error would happen sometimes

Error: Lost connection to MySQL server during query
Errno.: 2013

It is really a large plan for me (20gb space and 1tb bandwidth). it is hardly for me to use over unless all pages are static or just for storing.

there is a small problem when you create mysql database in their control panel. you have to create a new mysql host when create a new mysql database which is rather discommodious.

And they don't offer any web statistics but analog which don't offer uniques ip statistics and I can't tell my customers how many uniques ip I got

Now I am considering to move some of my sites to a new host.

Please don't be self promotion, I have not requested host here :)

thanks for your times.

Regards,
Antonio

Yeah that seems to be correct. Small sites on DreamHost are fine but as soon as you start using more resources and as your site becomes more popular, you will notice the drawbacks of choosing such a host.

Also if you need to move to a new host there are many good hosts here on FWS, just make a request and I am sure you will find what you need.

Thanks for taking the time to review your host.

Yeah, their hosting is a little expensive but it is well worth to get a nice service.

I have emailed their for some questions and got replied as soon as I checked my email 2 mins later.

They must have answered it before you sent it!

I am sure you will be very happy with HostGator if you decide to go with them.

hostgator is great but expensive. i have ad an account with dreamhost for about a year and a half. for the price you cant beat them.

their quality isn't as bad as people may think. they rarely have downtime and if it is they usually announce them. it is a fairly reliable service.

Good quality comes with a price tag no matter what industry you are in. HostGator seems to have good reviews and bad reviews. However like I say on many posts you can't please everyone when you are a big provider. If you do infact choose HG let us know how things go :D

hostgator is great but expensive.
Funny how perceptions change. Just some 6-8 months ago they would have been considered very cheap. Now that we have the numbers used by dreamhost, 1and1, godaddy etc as a guideline for cheap, Hostgator and other hosts in their price range are suddenly tagged as expensive. :)

Last edited:
Exactly! Saying that a host is cheap, basing your conclusion off over oversold providers is not always good. However, as I said before....let us know how it goes with which ever provider you choose.

ldcdc said:
Funny how perceptions change. Just some 6-8 months ago they would have been considered very cheap. Now that we have the numbers used by dreamhost, 1and1, godaddy etc as a guideline for cheap, Hostgator and other hosts in their price range are suddenly tagged as expensive. :)
Yeah, but you should know domain registered at $200 more at first :classic2:

Cant believe how cheap dreamhost are I mean a free domain name, 20 GB Disk Space and 1 TB Transfer for $22/yr... They must be overselling!

well i didnt know much about hostgator except that i had been looking at resellers plans with them. with the lowest priced reseller at $25 for 5gb (most sites have this for about $15) it seemed expensive, but their shared at $7 is pretty good. plus i've heard excellent things about their reliablility.

meclive said:
Cant believe how cheap dreamhost are I mean a free domain name, 20 GB Disk Space and 1 TB Transfer for $22/yr... They must be overselling!
$22 with the promote code
in fact $7.95/mon for 2-year paying

Im going to have a popular site (around 5000 hits/mo) and i was thinking of going with dreamhost because of what they offer for the price, being a customer what do you think? I might go for the netfirms offer of 20gb storage 750gb transfer and 2 free domain names for $10 for the first year!

Last edited:
meclive said:
Im going to have a popular site (around 5000 hits/mo) and i was thinking of going with dreamhost because of what they offer for the price, being a customer what do you think? I might go for the netfirms offer of 20gb storage 750gb transfer and 2 free domain names for $10 for the first year!
If you have more than 2000 unique ips, there will be a CPU usage problem.
If yours is a small site or pages are in static html just go with them.

dreamhost has 99% uptime.

I think im going to go with netfirms, cant go wrong with what they offer for the price, plus i get two free domain names!

Back