• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

doonesbury dropped from the sunday comics

keith

anti-liberal
NLC
it's about time!

better late than never...

:applaudin :applaudin :applaudin

:coolmusic :coolmusic :coolmusic

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Last edited:
The most distrubing piece was the one about Pat Tillman.

For those who do not know who Pat Tillman was, he was a star football player who gave up a professional career to enlist and later was killed in Afghanistan. Doonsbury referred to him as a "dumb jock"

Conscript said:

For those who do not know who Pat Tillman was, he was a star football player who gave up a professional career to enlist and later was killed in Afghanistan. Doonsbury referred to him as a "dumb jock"
Yeah, even I found some of his work to be tasteless.

Fuzzylogic said:
yeah i can see why it was dropped, i looked it up on yahoo and its pretty bagging the war in a really unsenistive way. i'm not going to put down free speech or anything but really have a look at this comic and you'll see why.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/uclickcomics/cx_db_uc/latest
Exactly what about that is offensive? Trudeau is holding the most biased news channel accountable for their slogan "Fair and Balanced".

I haven't seen the comic itself. I'd have to look at it in context. But if it was a lone comment (which I highly doubt), then it is very unsensitive of Trudeau.

The fact that we know who Tillman was is pathetic. He does not deserve any special recognition over the many others who have died in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Conscript said:

sometimes the truth is hard to take.

if you've got the brains (or lack thereof) to quit a professional sports career and hop on a boat to afghanistan you deserve to be made fun of in a comic.

keith said:
dancing bananas are serious??

...doh, looks like jmiller retracted.
I didn't want a certain someone to hijack your thread.

And yes, I did, in the same way you retract personal insults. :shame:

Gayowulf said:
sometimes the truth is hard to take.

if you've got the brains (or lack thereof) to quit a professional sports career and hop on a boat to afghanistan you deserve to be made fun of in a comic.

those who quit thier profession (if you can really call sports a profession) and join up to the army to fight a cause no matter what the reason is really honourable and noble to some. others may join up because they truely believes its worth fighting for, for what ever reason they joined up and died has to be respected for. making fun of someone who has died specially if its been published to a wider audience is just plain wrong. its like saying that people in the german army in the nazi era, they joined and died for a cause, not a rightful one by todays books. noone has the right to individually insult someone who has died in combat.

Fuzzylogic said:
noone has the right to individually insult someone who has died in combat.

though everyone has the right to voice his or her own opinion.

Many thing I say are insensitive and should not be taken seriously.

I really dont give a damn if someone quits their job to get killed in combat, whether it be a garbage collector or an astronaut.

I also don't give a damn about doonsbury and what newspaper stopped showing it in the comics pages. no one else should either.

but right now i do give a damn about lasagna and rock and roll music. Because it's dinner time and the radio is on.

every man is his own opinion...
though then again it all depends about what you really care about i guess. thought lasagna and dinner are very important, so are sleep and simpsons :biggrin2: .

Are the comics in American papers not supposed to be funny? I mean, political comment all you want, but the reason that it's got drawings and stuff is so it can be funny? Isn't it????
Coz the few I saw then really weren't funny. I'd pull it for that :p

Doonesbury was moved to the A section of my local paper months and months ago. At least, I believe so. I don't get the paper any more; I just remember seeing it there.
I never liked Doonesbury much anyway, but I also dislike Hi & Lois (or whatever it's called,) Mallard Phillmore (Fillmore?), Family Circus, Beetle Bailey, or Cathy (Kathy?). Essentially, I don't like comics that aren't funny.

Darn, I can't remember the last time I read Doonesbury... i think it was in the 90s gulf war.

Love how they made fun of Donald Trump back then.

Back