• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

DomainZero is no longer free.

CJB

Guess it was too good to be true. You now have to purchase one of their web hosting or URL forwarding packages in order to get a "free" domain name.

Yeah...... =/

I tried it maybe a week ago and I was like euhhhh I have payy ? I said to my self " The Hell With That " lol

Really? My brother just registered a domain for free using the "get 12 ad emails" option just last night. Weird...

I'm looking at their page now, and it does say you have to either buy their hosting or forwarding. Speak of the devil... :) I guess it's back to NameZero for everyone, eh?

And the hosting packages are really overpriced:

500 MB Disk Space
1 Gb Monthly Data Transfer
2 Email Accounts (POP/Web)
20 Email Aliases
FrontPage® Support
Plus all standard features*
$0 Setup, $12.95 per month
2 months minimum

Ignoring the disk space you could buy a domain for $10 and host it for less than that - easily - in 101 different places.

Gordon

I signed up with a domain with them and got it around a month or so ago, and I accepted the 15+ emails deal. Since I got my domain before they started charging, they won't be billing me for it will they?

Probably not

Originally posted by Ice
I signed up with a domain with them and got it around a month or so ago, and I accepted the 15+ emails deal. Since I got my domain before they started charging, they won't be billing me for it will they?

You probably won't be charged if you gave them your credit card number. If you signed up before when it didn't require a credit card number there is no way for them to charge you.

You probably won't be charged if you gave them your credit card number. If you signed up before when it didn't require a credit card number there is no way for them to charge you.

I signed up and they didn't require a credit card number. But, however, they do have my home address and my phone number I think. I know they also have my email address, so I figured they may try to bill me knowing they have my address and all. Can they legally do that? Seeing as they said it was free.

Don't worry, they can't legally do that without giving you a lengthy notice! Otherwise you would have the legal authority to sue them for breach of contract, not that you would want to do that :)

For all of you who actually got a free domain, go nuts! One year to go, and the clock is ticking...hehe :D

I registered 3 free domains with DomainZero before they required credit cards and hosting accounts.. one of those domains will probably go unused, another is being used as a redirect, and the other is being used for a website. I'll probably keep the latter two domains and move them to a low-cost registrar before the year of free registration expires ;-)

When you do that, can you post and tell us if you can do it without a charge. I remember something from the old BBoard that said there was a transfer fee, and I think I even looked it up and verified that there was one. I bring this up b/c memory seems to tell me that fee was kind of steep...

I think you can change the administrative contact with Domainzero, and if you are the administrative contact, you get full power over the domain and I think you can transfer the domain with no fees.
(Now that was a nice run-on sentence ;))

And I think we will never know for sure unless somebody does it :) ... Domainzero got rid of the free domain faq and looks like everything is geared to their new hosting and forwarding service...

Oh well, maybe someone will do it :)

I still wonder what is going to be presented when we all come up for our first year renewal.. $25 per year or pay some type of transfer fee?

Why are they still calling it domainzero even though you have to pay for something no matter what! :D

I think, personally, we all got $crewed over, seeing as we was promised a "free" domain and to get a domain you have to reserve it for two years instead of the one year DomainZero covered (meaing we're all gonna have to pay something). I think it also said at the end of the year you'd have a chance to renew it for free, although I might be wrong on that though.

Guess I should've listened to what my mother always said, "you never get something for nothing". Oh well...

renewal fees...

didnt they say that you had the option to choose between ads or the payment on signup?

Originally posted by Ice
and to get a domain you have to reserve it for two years instead of the one year DomainZero covered...

Where did it say you were agreeing to register the domain for two years?

As with anything, yes, they said you had the option but that was providing the idea worked which I don't think it did. Maybe it did as a paid registrar (remains to be seen), but not as a free one (at least that's what I think).

Originally posted by jiminsd
I still wonder what is going to be presented when we all come up for our first year renewal.. $25 per year or pay some type of transfer fee?

I was wondering the same thing. I never registered a domain name there, I always rather pay for my domain name, but a few friends of mine has

Back