• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Domain registration

webgivers

Hello,

I am registering a domain, before that I want to clarify one doubt. Can I register a domainname.net if domainname.com is present and its the registers trademark of theirs(domainname.com)
for ex:-Can I register freewebspace.com(just an example), as freewebspace.net is already present? Will I be in problem?

You can if the other domain isn't trademarked.

Example: Google.com - you want to register Google.co - you can't, Google is trademarked.

One important caveat is here the classification of keywords in the domain (regarding trademark issues). Different rules applies to the words in the domain names based on category they belong: arbitrary, suggestive, descriptive or generic. You can use apple.org if you will not involve into IT. If you are going to sell, or write about fruit, you're free to use apple.org/.net/.me or any available extension.

You'd better not risk and do not invest in such domain names at all. That is not recommended.

One important caveat is here the classification of keywords in the domain (regarding trademark issues). Different rules applies to the words in the domain names based on category they belong: arbitrary, suggestive, descriptive or generic. You can use apple.org if you will not involve into IT. If you are going to sell, or write about fruit, you're free to use apple.org/.net/.me or any available extension.

Thanks for your replies

Hello,

.com and .net makes two different domains, you can have smthng.net if some one have already registered smthng.com

Regards,
sarah_9

You'd better not risk and do not invest in such domain names at all. That is not recommended.
Totally agree.If your site is very popular,someone else should register a similar domain name as yours.
Though .com and .net makes two different domains,hence you can register one which is available.

Totally agree.If your site is very popular,someone else should register a similar domain name as yours.
Though .com and .net makes two different domains,hence you can register one which is available.

In any case that is recommended to keep all domain names related to your trademark with you. That is recommended.

Well my website is bossbuild.co.uk and some %£*# registered bossbuild.com like a week later.....Take's the biscuit when people steal your domain name, and it's incredibly annoying, plus if you cheese off (excuse the food puns) the wrong person then they might have some money behind them to actually take you to court etc. domain registration can get a bit messey sometimes, and its always best not to intentionally annoy people =)

Back