• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Domain Name Appraisal: Two Character Country Code

Shadow Warrior

I am thinking about starting a free domain name service similar to http://www.freedomain.co.nr, and I have found a good two character country code domain that is still available to be registered. It is in the below format.

co.{country code}

For example, it is something like:

co.uk

I am not going to mention the actual domain name so that no one else registers it.

Do you think it would be worth starting a free service like this? It will have similar features to that of uni.cc, it will have DNS management and nameserver modification along with URL redirection. Do you think a domain name like this is worth anything?

Thanks! :)

If you can offer the features that uni.cc offers (DNS Management especially) then I can see the domains going like hot cakes.

tnshosting said:
If you can offer the features that uni.cc offers (DNS Management especially) then I can see the domains going like hot cakes.
Yes, that's what I thought. It will also be shorter than uni.cc, users will get domain names in the following format.

{theirname}.co.{country code}

I think it could be big, but how are you going to add DNS management? it is not that easy to add it.

hanz said:
but how are you going to add DNS management? it is not that easy to add it.
It shouldn't be too hard to add. I am currently testing, and it seems to be going good... It will obviously be a long time though until the whole thing is finished. :biggrin2:

What sort of software are you using? I've always been interested in how it works..

Regards,

jUST THINK HOW MANY PEOPLE POST PER DAY ASKING FOR FREE DOMAIN IN THE DOMAINS FORUM!! tHEY WOULDN'T NEED TO NOW, COZ THEY COULD GET A FREE SHORT URL WITH DNS!
aLSO, YOU COULD HAVE RESELLER ACCOUNTS FOR HOSTS THAT WANT TO GIVE THERE USERS A SHORT URL, OR FOR THOSES THAT DON'T GIVE A SUBDOMAIN.

bEN-mR

I wnat to help. I wanted to start a service liekt his myself but have never had the rescources. I really want to help. please pm me. I can build the site and set up the forums - Mike

Death Reaper said:
What sort of software are you using? I've always been interested in how it works..
It will use a custom PHP script, which I will write. I will setup a VPS with cPanel DNS Only installed and use PHP to integrate with it to modify the DNS zones. :) If it gets really big, then I would setup a dedicated server just for serving the DNS.

you could place ads on them so you are getting something out of it, and you will have paid for it tooo

uzzer said:
you could place ads on them so you are getting something out of it
I wasn't going to place ads on the actual domains, I was going to place Google ads on the main website where you register the domains and on the forums. I am currently working on a PHP class to interface with Bind.

Well if u place Google ads on your website i doubt many would mind...
I am lookin forward to your service...it would be a big hit for sure...

Back