• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

disk defragment?

when you install stuff, your computer just installs it anywhere on on hard drive... what disk defragment does is that it reorganizes your data neatly...

the RAM speed will still be the same but your computer might run a little smoother after you defrag... i usually do it once a month...

- SF

Originally posted by Toefur
I've never defragged. Maybe I should one day.
You probably won't be able to, or it will take 2-3 days unless you reformat.

Anyway as said earlier it organized all the files on your hard drive kind of in categories for your system to recognize easier. Although it will not help, or has nothing to do with your ram it will speed up your computer a bit in a lot of cases. Since I think you are more interested in how it effects performance I Will tell you. It puts stuff nearer to the edge and in a big bundle on the hard drive so it can detect without the hard drive moving around, there fore seek times are quicker and your hard drive and everything else runs a little faster.

Originally posted by Toefur
Hm, Well I format on a regular basis... so maybe I don't need to? :confused: :D
Probably not then. Reformatting can be a pain though I hate re-installing big software applications like Visual Studio and stuff, it takes all day.

well i think windoes xp does something with disk defragmentation because i have install a whole bunch of crap, un-installed it, download and upload big and small files, and a whole bunch of crap and it sez that my 20 GB hard drive is only 0.5% fragmented.

Windows XP better manages your space/memory. But, defraging is the only way to speed up your commonly used programs. It's suggested to run the defrag once a week. The first time you run it, it will take a little while. After thr 3rd or 4th time of running it every week, it'll go real fast since most of the hard drive already has been defraged.

On XP i just did a analyze it said like some mp3s have fragments. whats it mean? If i defrag it what will happen to the mp3s?

Originally posted by DCI
On XP i just did a analyze it said like some mp3s have fragments. whats it mean? If i defrag it what will happen to the mp3s?
They will have a less chance of a drop out if you defrag.

Ok, let me clear this up you WILL NOT have data loss or any such thing from a defrag it can ONLY help your puter!

i am not sure, but if by chance you turn off your computer at some exact nanosecond can't the bit being transferred from one place to another be dropped, therefore corrupting that part of the HD?
haha!

Originally posted by roblev
i am not sure, but if by chance you turn off your computer at some exact nanosecond can't the bit being transferred from one place to another be dropped, therefore corrupting that part of the HD?
haha!
Hard drives are linear, bad sectors are where the magnetics can no longer be written, that would just cause that 1 byte of data to be lost, it probably wouldn't effect much.
But that is the same as if it were to be turned off when it is not defraging.

WHAT ARE YOU SCARED OF, your computer is worse of not defraging that if you were to do it, like I said it will only help.

Originally posted by guitarnerd

Probably not then. Reformatting can be a pain though I hate re-installing big software applications like Visual Studio and stuff, it takes all day.
It takes me 1 1/2 hours. I tried it yesterday, and maybe its the cause of my problem :(

Originally posted by trenzterra
It takes me 1 1/2 hours. I tried it yesterday, and maybe its the cause of my problem :(
Dude not to sound mean but get read of ME and go with an NT OS it will take you 15 minutes on the same drive

Originally posted by guitarnerd

Dude not to sound mean but get read of ME and go with an NT OS it will take you 15 minutes on the same drive
I use ME and it takes 15/30 minutes (depending how much time between)

As I have said before we can't all afford to just pop out to the store to buy a new operating system :confused2

Originally posted by Jan

I use ME and it takes 15/30 minutes (depending how much time between)

As I have said before we can't all afford to just pop out to the store to buy a new operating system :confused2
Actually it depends on how much space you use on your HDD. How much space have you used Jan?

I have used an amazing 5GB so far, more than what I expected.

Back