• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Disadvantages of Cloud Computing :

samdonna

There are some disadvantages of Cloud Computing. Those are as follows :

1. Extra cost of data transfer.
2. You don't have power over the remote servers, software or security
3. It may be hard (or even impossible) to migrate massive amounts of data from the provider :p

Can you elaborate on what you mean by Extra cost of data transfer? I assume you mean using cloud computing versus a desktop cause a need for high data transfer.

3. It may be hard (or even impossible) to migrate massive amounts of data from the provider :p

1. There is no extra cost, it is usually cheaper from what I have seen.
2. Because the servers are attached and redundant, there is no need to to manage just one at a time. If one fails, another pics up, and while it is down, you can fix it and your data is still available on the remaining servers.
3. I had no problems using data from the provider. I think you may have been ripped off from a past provider, especially with your #1.

3. It may be hard (or even impossible) to migrate massive amounts of data from the provider

All of these do apply to the traditional computing as well?

I love cloud VPS, wouldnt go back now.
And its not more costly, its actually really cheap for the power and reliability you are receiving, single nodes are so last year!

IMO only the first one is a real disadvantage. Prices of CDN/Cloud services are pretty expensive compared to just getting another VPS or a server.

IMO only the first one is a real disadvantage. Prices of CDN/Cloud services are pretty expensive compared to just getting another VPS or a server.

I can agree about pricing, but you will receive perfect performance for running your web sites fast and efficiently.

You will always get what you pay for.

sounds like the OP needs to do more research before bashing such a great innovation. I have not had any of the issues he/she lists and have had nothing but a great experience with cloud computing.

The biggest disadvantage I have with cloud computing is that the market keeps saying ‘impossible’ to things I did 4 years ago. So it’s like people who complain about all the bugs in Windows, but couldn’t imagine switching over to Linux or Mac.

So.. lack of imagination in people who don’t actually use the cloud.

But this problem is on the same dimension as staffing concerns. If only a few people grow the skill to circumnavigate the oceans, it means the overwhelming majority are still thinking the world is flat.

Cloud is generally more expensive, but it is worth the money compared to other ways of speeding up your hosting. But there is plenty you can do hardware wise to speed up your hosting. We are moving over to NVMe too.

I believe the Pros outweigh the Cons exponentially. All the things you said about Cloud are applicable to non-cloud computing as well.

Back