• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

DirectAdmin vs cPanel

feugatos

Hi fellows,
I'm about to buy VPS hosting and I haven't decided yet which control
panel to use.
Till now in shared hosting I've used cPanel and so I've got used to it a bit.
Today I used a demo of DirectAdmin @ DirectAdmin official site and it's
simplicity took my breath at the very first moment.
What I'd like is to know is which one is better, why and some suggestions on
what I should use.
Thanks.

for simplicity of use and just general running reasons, on a vps I would go with DA, it means you dont have to spend mroe $$ on RAM just for cPanel ;)

i have heard that DA is very simple, but, i myself, have never used it and couldnt say for sure. i am partial to cPanel, and i love it. so, i can definitely suggest it.

I run DirectAdmin on a VPS and I can say it is a great Control Panel that requires very little resources. cPanel is also a great choice but it is more for dedicated servers, I run it on a Quad Core Xeon with 2 GB of RAM and have had no problems.

If you want something that is pretty much straight forward in every aspect and has a light footprint and runs in conjunction with the OS instead of making the OS run in conjunction with it, get DA.
If you have a lot of time to kill, get cPanel.

If you want to spend hours debugging config files, and restarting services. Get cPanel.

If you want to enjoy your hosting, and have the best amount of uptime and reliability, as well as speed, get DirectAdmin.

I personly like DirectAdmin much more than cPanel.

If you want to spend hours debugging config files, and restarting services. Get cPanel.

If you want to enjoy your hosting, and have the best amount of uptime and reliability, as well as speed, get DirectAdmin.

I personly like DirectAdmin much more than cPanel.

Couldn't of said it better.

There are as many opinions as people exist.
I think that you have to go with one you like thebest personaly.
Both are good.
Maybe soon you will change your mind, but for now I would suggest you go with the one you like the most personaly.

Honestly I like DirectAdmin much more now.

Although it's simple and has a few less features, it uses much less space/bandwidth/RAM/CPU.

I suggest only cPanel for hosting companies, because of it's WHM features, but DA is beginning to handle a lot of things cPanel handles now.

If you plan to run a website, go with DirectAdmin as well because you'll have more memory towards your site :)

I agree, if it is just a personal site then use direct admin, it has everything you need and like people have said, less space/memory. If you planned on using it for hosting purposes then use cpanel, cpanel is more populour with clients and WHM is unbeatable in my eyes.

I prefer cPanel since I've spent years using it and getting to grips with it. I've heard DA is a great control panel but I haven't yet used it myself.

I prefer cPanel too just out of farmiliarity for personal use, after installing it there are a few steps you need to take to make it stable but kiss 400M of your VPS's RAM bye bye just to have it running settled with all normal services and monitors.

A 512M VPS will run okay with cPAnel but 1G RAM would be better.

If those RAM figures scare the bejezzus out of you get DA :D

CPanel is far more advanced than Direct Admin. If you choose DA, it would only be for cost reasons or system resources.

Can you list the advantages of cPanel over DA?

Clients generally prefer it, WHM is great -- DA's administration doesn't include things like EasyApache where you can easily recompile Apache and PHP by clicking a few buttons. Plus cPanel 11 is all ajaxified. :p

DA comes with CustomApache (in ssh), that's very useful for anyone wants to rebuild apache, php etc. If anyone cannot use ssh, dedicated server is not suitable for him/her.

Back