• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Defragmentaion Error on WinME

Christopher

This is really weird, but when I do a defrag, I get about 50% the way through and it throws and error... I haven't done a defrag in months now! I forget what the error was, but I remember being able to click a : "Retry", "Help", and "Cancel".

Teh Retry would just restart from the beginning, and it threw the same error, help would bring up those useless help screens and close the defrag all together, and cancel is pretty self-explanitory...

So has anyone ever encountered a similar problem? Or has the answer?

And please don't go "Don't use ME" cuase I know it sucks, from experience :p

I am going to run one now, and I'll let you guys know the exact error when it gets to it... But if you have any idea, please reply!

Thanx!

reinstall windows me should solve all windows me issues.

to be honest, I haven't done a defrag with windows me before.

Is it that easy though? I don't wanna loose all of my progs and files... Is there a way to just back them up then reinstall everything later?

And also, I would do it in a second, but my dad won't let me :mad:

Si I need to know if there is a way I can backup like all of the files, cause he has tons of MP3's and stuff to...

So is there an easy way to backup then to reinstall everything again?

Well you could save all of your files, but your programs will have to be reinstalled once you reinstall windows. Some things might run but any programs that use your registry will have to be because your registry is cleared when you do a clean install. So although I may not have the solution I have some very useful advice that you could do that will avoid this from happeneing again. When you install something, instead of installing from the disk, copy the disk to your hard drive in a folder like this

c:/program files/yourprogram/diskcopy

Well that will only work if you have two drives or a partition but it can really really come in handy, considering I reformat more often than others, this helps keep the setup time to a minimal and I am sure to keep all of my progs and files

Back