• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Dedicated Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarmth

Hey All!

I need a dedicated machine that has hardware DDoS protection.

I have a client who is very VERY security conscious as their website is being created to "fill the gap" for another client.

The server must be Self Managed and must be under $100 a month and should be located within the USA.

Thanks,

Please reply here, or PM Me.

What kind of specs are you looking for exactly? Dedicated hardware DDOS isn't cheap. You're probably looking at least at $30-40/mo. So that only leaves about $60 for the dedicated box itself.

I'm guessing they aren't looking for much in the way of specs?

Something along the lines of;

1 - 2GB RAM
2 Core CPU
250 - 500GB HDD
10 - 100Mbps link.
Probably 1 TB or unmetered transfer is best.

They don't need much, their website is so small, I would suggest them going with shared, however, due to their security awareness, I can only really recommend them a moderately low end Dedi box which I will be managing anyway. Uptime is always something muchly needed, and I will endeavour to ensure their server is up for as long as possible while I prepare my DNS infrastructure for failover protection (they are really going all out...)

Thoughts ?

Instead of dedicated server I would recommend you to consider a Cloud Server - reliable, stable and cost effective.

Instead of dedicated server I would recommend you to consider a Cloud Server - reliable, stable and cost effective.

And you're going to put a dedicated hardware DDOS device on a virtual server? This I've got to hear!

Cloud servers as a rule of thumb are about 20% less cost effective. So I'm not going to recommend they go in the cloud with this.

You need to provide some kind of definition for DDoS. I realize you don't believe the client in question will be attacked - but hypothetically, if he is, how many PPS and Mbps would the flood be? Protection like this costs money and the lowend hardware can only filter so much.

Either way I can tell you right now $100 a month will not be enough for the firewall much less the dedicated server.

You need to provide some kind of definition for DDoS. I realize you don't believe the client in question will be attacked - but hypothetically, if he is, how many PPS and Mbps would the flood be? Protection like this costs money and the lowend hardware can only filter so much.

Either way I can tell you right now $100 a month will not be enough for the firewall much less the dedicated server.

*raises her left eyebrow*
I can be flexible with the budget, however I need to be sure that DDoS attacks are reduced to the fullest extent possible. Right now the server is hosted on the Amazon Cloud, and I am concerned that the client will be paying twice as much as they should be due to the crazy prices of the amazon cloud (EC2)

I'm looking for a basic server with relatively high, levels of DDoS protection. What prices can some one offer me?

A shared firewall will likely do little for DDoS mitigation; the most capacity we can offer is 1Gbit/s, which could apply the same basic rules to dump traffic.

Are you actively or will be using any UDP services? It would generally be easier to simply firewall off all UDP traffic and move nameserver services elsewhere. A shared firewall's most common application is to centralize application and control of security policy, not block malicious traffic. While DDoS protected hosting is available, we don't currently provide it.

I can offer some regional references, though understand that purchasing capacity for DDoS mitigation based on deep packet inspection will generally increase your pricing levels by 100-300%.

www.hostrazor.net

Also bare in mind that most attacks we have seen from Denial of Service and Distributed Denial of Service are that of 200/300Mbit/s max.

Last edited:
24khost can offer you a Cloud Vps. Do you need a control panel? We can help get your system setup so that 95% of DDOS attacks can be blocked with software. The other 5 percent becomes and issue of maybe the hardware helps maybe it doesn't depending on the level of attack.

If DDOS mitigation is your priority, you may also want to consider getting the server from a provider that specializes in it such as Staminus

Real DDoS protection on a budget? Might be a little difficult.

A certain forum I know has suffered from DDoS attacks (80k PPS SYN attacks), and currently utilises BuyVM's 'protected IP' service.
Baring in mind the alexa ranking is ~60,000, it's not the smallest forum.

The protected IP is essentially IP space being tunnelled through Awknet, back to BuyVM's racks, so you're getting Awknet protection for literally $3 a month.
Depending on your requirements, and their stock, you can pick up a well spec'ed VPS from them at an affordable price.
Don't let the low price put you off, Google them for reviews ;)

Where dos the server have to be located? And whats the server for? Im guessing a gaming server right?

I would give you a good host who i have been with for about a year but it looks like your from australia but im not sure about your ping to europe, (If is a gaming server)

If is just a normal WWW (webserver) then i recommend Tech-Hosts (google it :) )

And other (that look good)
1&1 (germany and uk servers) they have a 3 mouth offer with £10 setup fee
fasthosts (not sure where they are located think is UK)
rapidswitch (UK)

Hope i have helped you out

I have been working with a company in Toronto, DSM computing Solutions Inc and found affordable. I get greater flexibility and better functionality with their system. Consider it.

get a buyvm vps or AWKNET and they have ddos protected ip ranges that they have filters.

You can get this under $100 If you agree to use Shared Hardware Firewall :knockedou

Shared firewall is not costly If your provider use this on few systems or you can pay one time fees for purchasing a cisco firewall?

Method 1: Use Shared Hardware Firewall
Method 2: Pay Onetime fees to your DC for hardware firewall
Method 3: Ask to your DC about firewall comparability, once they agree that CISCO xyz firewall is suitable for their Basic Dedicated Server Plan then purchase a Firewall and send it to DC

Hello,

FastHostingDC can offer you a dedicated server, at the following (Spec's & Price)

INTEL Xeon X3440
1x 1TB Drive
INTEL Xeon X3440 2.53Ghz
8GB ECC Memory
10TB Bandwidth
5 IPv4 IP Address
1000 Mbps Uplink Port
$49.00 Dollars Per month ( Any Operating System )

This can be setup in our Philadelphia Data center ( FastHostingDC has COLO there )

Please feel free to contact us on Sales @ fasthostingdc dot com or on our live chat system on our website fasthostingdc dot com

Regards
David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back