• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Dead webhost?

Just goes to show you... Backup backup backup!

aintnobody.jpeg

I know several people that felt that since Burst was a big company, then they were safe... Just goes to show you... Backup backup backup!

Unfortunately, size doesn't matter. Wait, wait...when it comes to hosting. :p They were indeed a fairly large company, but when you're offering bargain basement prices and losing money, doesn't matter how big you are. Burst has been screwed up for a long, long time, yet people kept going with them because of the price, service and quality be damned.

Back in the time I used one of their VPS es for customer backups and etc. They were better back then around 2010. But I agree with what [MENTION=6861]fcolor[/MENTION] said above. All true. They did bad business in hosting industry.

I've just read through 23 pages of a brand-new thread about Burstnet Closing Down in July. Looks as though there is a nasty sequel to the March/April event where the accounts that had been moved from Scranton in Philadelphia to North Carolina had been given notice and then at the same time everything got shut off. The Burstnet staff who had been relocated to North Carolina are without jobs.

Dear BurstNET client,

It is with great regret that we inform you that all of your services with BurstNET will be terminating on your next billing cycle/renewal/current expiration of purchased services but in all cases no later than July 25th, 2014.

If you are a CO-Location client you can disregard this message. Your services will persist.

You will have until July 24th to migrate your services to other providers. On July 25th all services will be terminated.

We apologize for any inconveniences and wish you and your businesses great success.

Sincerely,

BurstNET
Source: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1387621

Interesting part however is that BurstNET found a White Knight to bale out those who had been affected:

Why is it the first thing that ever went smooth for me with Burst is their death? When everything "went down" back in March I moved all of my primary services away, but left my "backup" VPS over at Burst because all it did was DNS and hold backup copies of all of my CPanel sites (and they were cheap and I wanted a front row seat to their future). Well - I get the message about them dying, then I get the migration to Hostwinds Email, then Hostwinds transferred my VPS host, got it all setup within the 72 hour time frame they said they would, and not a beat was missed.

So - for once - I'd like to say thanks to Burst/Digi for finding a home for all of the VPS clients (which, in all honesty, their financial backers had no reason to do - customer service is the last thing companies worry about when shutting the doors), and even more - a big "Thank You!" to Hostwinds for picking up Burst's mess and making everything just work. If their service and customer service continues to be as good as it has been during this transition, I'll be buying more services from them soon. Their prices are good and their services don't seem to be over provisioned from what I can tell.
Source: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpost.php?p=9163498&postcount=295

Here is a link with more info about the rescue by Hostwinds.com. What a risk for their corporate image, but I'm sure they have calculated the bottom line in this as well:
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1387621&page=15

I'd say the real problem was that BurstNet had burnt its fingers by getting involved with a Venture Capitalist who knew nothing about the hosting business. BurstNet had needed funding and next thing found itself being managed by a very ruthless operator who was mining the company for all of its assets and not caring what the consequences were. The move from Scranton to North Carolina in March/April was probably the worst move in data center move history in the United States. I'd think the good stuff that came out of people whose equipment had been saved was all due to great effort by the BurstNet staff who had been around for many years. All the bad stuff were the constraints that had been imposed on them by the venture capitalist who had been calling the shots. Sad part is that when they followed BurstNet (renamed DigiPlus) to North Carolina, they were without jobs within two months of the move.

Did your host just die some where last week?
Then he proberbly was with Burst.net

Your host couldnt do anything to save your website, he proberbly couldnt even safe his own.

I hope that you learned one thing tho, always, ALWAYS make backups!

my web hosting provider does automatic backups which i can download anytime and also they have offline backup so if somehow their is a data loss then i still have a chance to get my data back.

Back