• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Dead webhost?

sander k

NLC
Did your host just die some where last week?
Then he proberbly was with Burst.net

Your host couldnt do anything to save your website, he proberbly couldnt even safe his own.

I hope that you learned one thing tho, always, ALWAYS make backups!

Quote:
Charlotte NC - April 1, 2014

The DigiPLUS Company announced today that it has assumed the assets and client contracts of BurstNET®,a worldwide leader in Web Hosting and Internet Solutions. The new management company has relocated one of its three data centers from Scranton, Pennsylvania to Charlotte, North Carolina.

"Assuming the assets of BurstNet illustrates our commitment to providing a broader product portfolio, new technology and applications expertise to better serve BurstNET clients,” says JW Ray, CEO of DigiPLUS. “Although moving a data center presents challenges in the short term, we will now be able to offer the capacity for growth and peace of mind of a world-class infrastructure. We are working 24/7 to minimize any disruptions in service.”

The new data center has earned a Tier 3 rating as a highly redundant location with eight carriers and three times the bandwidth capacity of BurstNET’s former data center location in Pennsylvania. DigiPLUS also utilizes data centers in Miami, Florida and Los Angeles, California.

“Our DigiPLUS team is dedicated to delivering the reliability and dependability each and every client deserves,” says Art Faccone, Senior Vice President of Client Care for DigiPLUS. “Current and future clients will be better served by our more complete, stable and secure global product offering."

The acquisition enhances BurstNET’s Dedicated Server, VPS, Colocation, Backup Storage, and Cloud Computing portfolios. The BurstNET brand name will remain unchanged but will transition to the DigiPLUS name over the next few months.

Additional executive team members have been brought on to assist in the transition. They include Brandon Dorsey as Vice President of Finance and Arthur Cote as Vice President of Operations.

Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

BurstNET Technologies, Inc. is a worldwide leader in Web Hosting and Internet Solutions. It currently hosts 10,000+ Dedicated Servers and Colocated machines, 20,000+ Virtual Private Servers (VPS), and millions of websites.

Source: https://support.burst.net/index.php...assets-of-burstnet-relocates-main-data-center

Wait did they lose their data? The article made it sound like they are going to keep their customers websites running.

They just picket up all servers and loaded them on trucks going god knows where. Some servers are offline for almost a week now.

It was an absolute mess. Still is an absolute mess. We weren't with them, but know plenty of people who were.

Some servers have been offline for well over a week....over 2 in some instances. People have had their expensive server equipment, routers, hardware firewalls "lost", some were left behind in Pennsylvania, etc.

And for the people who are back up, they are having downtime, network, and routing issues every single day.

It was an absolute mess. Still is an absolute mess. We weren't with them, but know plenty of people who were.

Some servers have been offline for well over a week....over 2 in some instances. People have had their expensive server equipment, routers, hardware firewalls "lost", some were left behind in Pennsylvania, etc.

And for the people who are back up, they are having downtime, network, and routing issues every single day.

I have heard that too.
And plenty of hosts are gone too.

I have heard that too.
And plenty of hosts are gone too.

Yep...hosts just up and vanished and have yet to come back online. I'm actually okay with that, because it's the hosts who had no contingency plan for something like this. Thinning of the herd, if you will. LOL!! :)

But it's still sad to see.

When I started in the hosting industrie I started with Burst the first 2 years. Moved to OVH in France after that and co-location in Germany last year.

After OVH I am no longer a host tho, well just for websites I designed for clients.

When I started in the hosting industrie I started with Burst the first 2 years. Moved to OVH in France after that and co-location in Germany last year.

After OVH I am no longer a host tho, well just for websites I designed for clients.

Burst used to be very good. We had a few servers there for nameservers or such back in the day. Most recently, we used one of their Windows VPSs for an off-network remote desktop (for checking connectivity to our servers, client accounts, etc)., and support absolutely went to hell. I needed an IPv6 or two added to the Windows VPS, and it took them 24 days to answer the ticket. The IP was never added. LOL!!

Really at the end of the day, this should serve as a wake-up call to hosts, that you can't put all your eggs in one basket, so-to-speak. It's easy to use one datacenter, especially if they're giving you good pricing, but it's just a disaster waiting to happen. How many times do you hear about datacenters losing connectivity, or having fiber lines cut, or whatever, and sometimes the outages last for days. If somebody is running a web-based business off of your host, they can't be down for days.

One of things that bugs me are some hosting providers think backups aren't necessary because they have a RAID. All providers should be automating backups regardless of reason.

I started with Burst when I first got into the industry, and they had good support for the service they provide even though they was low-budget.

Now - I won't touch them with a barge poll!

On one of my sites I have shared my views on burst multiple times..... I left many years ago and swore I would never go back. I am with you guys tho everyone needs a contingency plan. Not just hosts but clients as well. KEEP BACKUPS!!!!!!

On one of my sites I have shared my views on burst multiple times..... I left many years ago and swore I would never go back. I am with you guys tho everyone needs a contingency plan. Not just hosts but clients as well. KEEP BACKUPS!!!!!!

I heard a few people are shipping there servers from the old data centre to the new one and never actually going online..

I wouldn't have even considered them back in the day when I was in the market for a dedicated server. After the "FDC Server Fiasco of 2002" I moved to Server Matrix, which was then changed to "The Planet" and then later changed to "SoftLayer" and I haven't budged since. I vowed not to deal with anymore of these low budget, bargain BS data centers.

I have had a chance to join a discussion about this VPS, dedicated and colocation provider in another community. The reason to participate to this one is that it is definitely a quality conversation. Anyway… Unfortunately, this is another industry lesson to learn. These "burst" folks have been underbidding the market for quite some time, selling dirty cheap and at the end of the day they have probably needed to apply some restrictions to the service usage.

The situation here is similar to the one in the Shared hosting niche where some over sellers got sold to a popular investment fund and started saving on support and cutting "abusive" users. However how does one define that any customer abuses a service that has been sold as "Unlimited".

The only thing we'd do is to sell and buy at reasonable prices and to support companies that do web hosting based on quality.

I constantly have people contact me and say, "Why should I pay X amount of dollars to you for X amount of space when I can pay the same amount to XYZ Company and they offer unlimited space." Ugh.... The average consumer is stupid. They think unlimited = better. I just face-palm and move on. I pay a premium to have my boxes online at a premium data center and my prices and available plans reflect this. If the customers are not willing (or able) to grasp the concepts of overselling then I don't need to deal with them, nor do I have the time. They can go host their sites with some burst reseller and see what happens.

I constantly have people contact me and say, "Why should I pay X amount of dollars to you for X amount of space when I can pay the same amount to XYZ Company and they offer unlimited space." Ugh.... The average consumer is stupid. They think unlimited = better. I just face-palm and move on. I pay a premium to have my boxes online at a premium data center and my prices and available plans reflect this. If the customers are not willing (or able) to grasp the concepts of overselling then I don't need to deal with them, nor do I have the time. They can go host their sites with some burst reseller and see what happens.

Have the same thing happen regularly...especially with people asking if I'll pricematch on VPSs, etc. and it's always some ridiculous offer, like the 4GB for $7/mo. or some nonsense. I just explain to them the overselling and wish them luck over there. Most come back within a few months.

I know several people that felt that since Burst was a big company, then they were safe... Just goes to show you... Backup backup backup!

Back