• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

DDoS Attack

Are you stealing my gig? Being the young comedic heckler? You're supposed to be the mean old guy, giving cynical and bitter anecdotes, but wise advice. :(

You mean like 'woman who makes beans and pee's in same pot is very unhygenic' :lol:

Guess I veered off there Travis :fangel:

Here at FWS iv made 4.32 posts per day :)
I dont know why but WHT has never really intersted me much
Anyway tis getting kinda off topic. lol

Curious why you guys didn't decide to go with someone like Staminus/Gigeservers/Awknet? They cost more but if you sustain an attack, they filter and do not charge for inbound traffic.

ThePlanet is going to just null route when you take an attack and/or suspend the account if you take more than a couple (from experience). Hopefully you guys just won't get hit again.

Last edited:
I can't answer that question in too much detail although I can say that we looked into several other options, for instance Gigeservers. Our experience with ThePlanet so far is nothing even close to what you describe.

From what I know there was no null route in response to any of the attacks on the new server. We're very happy with the ddos protection solution and support we have recieved. It might have changed since you hosted with them, when was that? We actually survived way more powerful attacks yesterday than what brought us down on the old server.

We actually survived way more powerful attacks yesterday than what brought us down on the old server.

Sounds like a peeved banned member, really no need for it. When will these people realise it's hitting people that they have no gripe against and go get a life/hobby/girl-boyfriend/family/job....etc.

Time it was treated as a global criminal offence - or am I being too harsh :fangel:

Sadly it is common knowledge that it is so hard to track DDoS attacks that most providers don't follow up.

We get them every day up in the range of:
Attack Destination:x.x.x.x
Start Time: [Mon Sep 18 17:30:48 2007]
End Time: [Mon Sep 18 17:31:00 2007]
Rate: 3,102,234 KiloBits Per Second

Attack Destination: x.x.x.x
Start Time: [Mon Sep 18 15:31:20 2007]
End Time: [Mon Sep 18 15:31:32 2007]
Rate: 3,293,081 KiloBits Per Second

We can't keep track...We just deal and move along.

We were with ThePlanet, I would guess around mid 2006. Now mind you, this was not our IRC hosting services so we were not going against their TOS. We were hosting websites from ThePlanet and their CiscoGuard? or whatever they call it...Wasn't able to filter it. We moved those customers to Staminus/Gigeservers and it seemed to fix our issues.

Hopefully they have improved. I cannot remember if they had purchased EV1 back then...I had heard that EV1's DC was excellent for DDOS mitigation back a couple years ago. Maybe they are using their networks? I see you're on an EV1 subnet. /shrug Maybe that is the difference.

Last edited:
Back