• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Database stuff

Jan

Forum Cleaner
NLC
Couple of problems.

I sold a site a site with a forum recently and the new owner was having problems importing the database. He ended up getting it imported, but the forum didn't reflect the import, instead it was a blank forum. He gave me the login to his control panel yesterday and everything looked to be in order when I finally navigated it. Turns out he is on windows hosting that does have mysql. Firstly is there some little thing we are missing? By all accounts, it should work.

Second problem. Is there a way to just import just the posts into his new database? Would that work?

I don't even know what the schema is. I see it there in all DBs, but it was definitely the correct one. I may be stupid, but not quite that stupid :p And Schema wouldn't be big MBs I am guessing ;)

Basically, you probably only imported the tables (The stuff what holds the data) and not the data with it. Ask him to re-export his data.

I exported the full database. I have exported and imported DBs many times before and never had a problem. The question is, is there something in a windows control panel that would prevent this working like I know it should.

I might add I just sent him the data just before I posted this and I had to really look around to find how to send just the data. We've been trying to work this out for days and figured just the data might be a last ditch effort.

If sounds like he has installed the forum, and then inported the database - I would check to see if the config file (or whatever it is in MyBB) is pointing to the correct database, and not one he created when he installed it.

Thanks tracker. I have used the merge system before SMF>Mybb but didn't realise there was a MyBB>MyBB.

Yup you just gotta put faith in the beta. But it worked for me so I dont see why you would have any issues :)

Glad I could help

Thats still wierd though, what in the windows hosting would cause this issue ?

Not the answer I was looking for :p

I just ask because its an interesting problem from a troubleshooting perspective

Not the answer I was looking for :p

I just ask because its an interesting problem from a troubleshooting perspective

Yeah, I would be interested too.It *should* have worked, but didn't. Hence I opened this thread. Next time I sell something with a DB, I'll check first that they don't use windows hosting. :lol: It was a few days before I found out it was windows, so I'd been tearing my hair out prior to finding that out.

Back