• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Crunch-Host threatens to DDoS a site - respect = gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler

NLC
I'm sure most of the users here have not been paying attention to WHT. Or if you have, maybe you know what I'm about to post.

Crunch-Host.com has a competitor using the name crunchhost.com. They don't like this, so they threaten the owner. After the owner refuses to co-operate, they threaten to DDoS his site.

Here is a list of quotes taken from the thread over at WHT. Funnily enough, crunch-host.com's about us webpage is in breach of the UK Distance Selling Regulations as there is no indentifying company information (Address/Phone number etc).

FAO - Crunchhost Webmaster

I am writing to you with a friendly warning before we proceed with legal
proceedings.

You are in violation of our company name as we are "Crunch-Host.com" you
are "Crunchhost.com" - As we are a legally registered company in the UK
and scotland you are breaching several laws by using our company nam. Our
domain as you will see was registered in 2009, long before yours.

If you comply within 48 hours and either remove your website or rebrand
under a different name we will take no further action, failure to do said
actions will result in legal action being taken against yourself and
anyone associated with "crunchhost".

Our next step before legal proceedings if we do not receive a satisfactory
response is the below :-

A. Contact GoDaddy your domain registrar to have this domain forcibly
suspended

B. Contact Virpus your webhost and have your services suspended

I hope you understand and we can come to an amicable agreement.

Warm Regards,

Alan Jenkins

Hello,

As per our about us section we are listed under our holding company Ellis
pirouet limited at the details below.

Ellis-Pirouet Limited

Office 36, 88-90 Hatton Garden

Holborn, London

United Kingdom

EC1N 8PN

Company Number: 07466775

Since you are uncooperative we will proceed with legal actions, the name
crunch host is registered as a subcompany so you are wrong in saying the
name is not registered, and it is protected under UK and US law as we are
based in the UK, but trade in the US due to our datacentre location.

Since you are using a .com domain you are bound by US law and verisign can
and will remove your domains if we proceed with legal action, as I type
this we have already contacted virpus.

DDoS THREAT
Very good, we will see.

I wonder what would happen if multiple users DDOSED a site....hmm

I look forward to hearing from your "lawyers", because you will be hearing
from mines soon enough, you might not actually as godaddy are very good at
taking domains down without consulting with the owner.

WHT Thread: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1034185
DDOS Threat: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7358869&postcount=37

My respect for Crunch-Host after that DDoS threat, combined with the attitude and behavior of the owner on crunch-hosts forum is now completely gone.

Last edited:
Even the CrunchHost.com is not doing good, people are going to take that side. No one likes DDoS attacks. Threatening doing so is a really bad habit. :eeK:

I think users from this forum should not comment on this issue, to avoid getting themselves flooded.

I think users from this forum should not comment on this issue, to avoid getting themselves flooded.

Even though I don't want to throw around accusations, I think it is a little too convenient he is threatening to DDoS a site after a bunch of hosts here were DDoSed. If they do get flooded for commenting on this, at least we will know for sure who it is and who to go after.

What alot of rubbish, I never even commented anything close to what was said never mind DDOS - I think a host who has active links to warez and provides hosting for it would be more inclined to DDOS than myself.

Also the distance selling thing, you are talking rubbish - We do not sell anything so are not in breach of any law. Read the laws before spouting.

Funnily enough our server was DDOSED last night and just managed to brush it off thanks to Softlayers help

"
PingdomAlert UP:
crunch-host.com (crunch-host.com) is UP again at 25/03/2011 19:57:41, after 5m of downtime."

So again I am hardly going to threaten my buisness over some host who offers unlimited hosting and warez hosting, The whole reason we are actively trying to have crunchhost.com stop trading under that name is we are getting customers open support tickets left right and centre for them and also I do not want to be related to a warez host in any way shape or form.

Very funny how all that guys emails are not copied into the thread isnt it - You dont know half the story and you wont either if it is going to go to a law suit I am not risking damaging my chances by posting on a forum so the accused can prepare.

Quite frankly Tyler, the fact you have lost respect for us does not bother me - The fact you are trying to flame my host here, shows the person you really are.

Last edited:
You are absolutely correct - I don't know the full story. I made this thread for a reason and I'm not sure why you are bringing up Paradox Servers but to be blunt I don't care. If you never made the email threatening to DDoS them, why not go post that on WHT so the OP can defend himself.

I can't seem to find Crunch Host in the registered business directory in the UK. Are you sure he is registered as a real company?

One thing is owning a domain name and registering it in the UK as a company name means nothing internationally. You need to have copy-write over the name or brand before you can do anything.

Looks real enough to me. Timestamps match the timeline as well.

And look at this:

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Well as Taylor suggested me to join this conversation as i was direclty impliced in this mess.

I will tell all the summery of the Story.

1. He send me an email claiming that i was using his own domain and i was need to change the brand or i shut down forever.
i asked some friends and decited to open a new topic on WHT, for this issue.

after i was getting adviced from more exprerienced ppl i replyed him saying i was not going to do nothing.

2. then he said to me he will do everything to close me trading online ( i have the email on my inbox)

3. Then after discussing he was convinced i didnt go to his trap and threat me he will ddos my site and he threat me even saying that he will take my domain from godaddy as they dont ask the owners for this.

Well this was a summery if someone need screenshots or forwards of the emails just PM me ;)

I'm really interested to watch this topic as Crunch-host.com has bad reputations in the past weeks.
I'd like to see his further actions. :)

I'm really interested to watch this topic as Crunch-host.com has bad reputations in the past weeks.
I'd like to see his further actions. :)

Well, I am -personally- interested in his response. He said he never threatened to DDoS the site - and there is the email above clear as day.

Alan should know one thing - Companies House info Company law is different from trade mark law. You cannot stop someone using a trade mark, which is the same or similar to yours, merely by registering your name with Companies House.

He has no right to insist,and can't find it as a registered trademark anyway. :shame:

If the other host is behaving badly then by all means contact them and then their suppliers for domain and services, but outside that unless he can prove impact on business reputation, he's humped.

Jordan step away from this one mate :wink2: and tell him Scotland is spelled with a capital letter, it is a country not a feckin banana :lol:

Hah, he said that godaddy will take down a domain. No they won't. They are not allowed to, only ICANN can disable domains.

Okay I just saw this and can't help but comment a little.

The threat to DDoS is rather immature but I wouldn't just conclude that the owner of crunch-host is a "twat" or whatever names you might want to call him just based on this. From all the screenshots the other party has provided, we can see nothing but short excerpts of his replies, which are likely to be abusive in nature, hence angering the owner of crunch-host.

From what I've in this whole thread, the evidence is pretty one-sided and it would be much fairer to judge only after all the evidence is out (i.e. the entire email conversation).

However, I will not dispute the fact that the owner of crunch-host does not have the capacity to debate in such matters while maintaining his calm and cool.

Please refrain from flaming either sides unnecessarily unless you have sufficient evidence and have drawn logical conclusions from them.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back