• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

cPanel Webmail Problems... Allowed memory size exhausted.

[JSH]John

JSHosts.com
NLC
I've noticed that there seems to be some problem with the webmail (Horde and SquirrelMail) on the server. I've never noticed this before since I usually just use outlook and have no problems accessing mails that way. I haven't had any complaints about this either but since I'm not at my PC this week and have to use my laptop, I've been trying to check my emails using the webmail clients installed by cPanel.

Here's the error it's showing when I try and open emails. Some emails do open but theres others that just won't open for some reason and this is the error that I get.

Code:
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 77824 bytes) in /usr/local/cpanel/base/horde/imp/templates/message/navbar_actions.inc on line 27

I've tried changing the settings in php.ini so that the memory limits are higher than 8Mb, it just doesn't seem to stop this problem... Any ideas are appreciated.

I've tried using the fixeverything script within cPanel but that doesn't do the trick...

And yes this is another support topic I've made... I've decided it's best to ask for help on problems rather than search all over the place to find a fix for it... alot easier and less time consuming. :p Then again, that is what these forums are for, for us all to help each other. :)

Last edited:
in WHM... try that
Main >> Service Configuration >> PHP Configuration Editor
The "memory manager" thing... check it at least.

I had tried setting it to 32M and now 16M but it's still showing the error on some emails, quite strange... is there a seperate file that cPanel's webmail reads?

Thanks for the replies so far. :)

Just on some emails?

It's not normally a cPanel error but a Horde one.

What do you have running for MTA's?

Just SMTP and IMAP.

I'm guessing that's what you were asking? if not feel free to correct me. :p

The error also shows on Squirrel Mail just after going to the URL. It's strange how no one else has reported the errors unless most people prefer to use Outlook etc now. I prefer to use that but at the minute I can't since I'm not using my PC.

Code:
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 4097 bytes) in /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/squirrelmail/functions/imap_general.php on line 92

This is a bit annoying since I can't seem to figure it out... Thanks for the help so far Decker. :)

More like a serverwide prob then, webmail clients can be a bit greedy on resource but that's still strange.

All the obvious bits, you did restart all required services after changing php.ini and make sure it's plugged in and closed all windows and restarted and such :)

What's the general server spec?

I would set it at 24MB. The problem should go away unless the email is just huge, which case you won't be able to open it in Horde/Squirrelmail.

Also, verify you are modifying the correct php.ini :)

Hi,

I'm modifying the php.ini file via WHM. I've restarted httpd service too. I've tried setting it to 32M but the problem is still there, quite strange really... I had another server with FDC which was on a very low spec and I didn't have these problems so atleast I know it's not the server specs to blame. :p

As for the specs..
Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz
1GB RAM

Running cPanel 11 on the Release updates.

Just submit a ticket to cPanel. They fixed a PHP issue I was having within a few hours. I was quite shocked at the response time.

You must have read my mind. :p I've just submitted a support ticket a few minutes ago since I just can't seem to figure out what's wrong.

Thanks for the support guys. :)

They found another php.ini that cPanel uses that hadn't been changed using the php.ini editor that is in WHM. They changed that to 32M from 8M and hoped that would fix it. It seems to only be happening on one of the emails accounts on the server which is mine, I checked other emails (sales.. support etc..) and they all seem to work fine with Horde and SquirrelMail.

cPanel were of help and very fast at replying to the support ticket.

Edit: Fully resolved now, found out that although cPanel had edited a php.ini file, it wasn't the one Horde and SquirrelMail used... Set it to 32M and now I've got no more problems. :)

Just thought I'd update this incase anyone else has the same problem in the future...

Last edited:
Back