• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Copy/Paste Replies and Offers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt8

All? No, ALL!
NLC
I have recently had a lot of questions on why certain posts are being deleted or why infractions are being given for copy/paste offers, and wanted to clear up any confusion with why the rule is in place as well as raise awareness.

Copy/Paste replies are exactly what they sound like. Taking the same set of features and just pasting the same, or close to the same reply on multiple threads.

There are a number of reasons we do not allow copied/pasted replies;

First and most importantly is quality concern. Anyone can copy and paste the same offer in multiple threads. Those who take the time to carefully reply in accordance to what the original poster is asking for and how they can meet those needs, those are the kind of hosts we would like to have more of at FWS. People take the time to post a request for hosting and take the time to read the replies, they should see the same effort on the other side of the table.

Secondly, the fact that all threads get read by someone. It makes YOU the hoster, look bad if all your posts look exactly the same. Makes you look like a spammer just trying to advertise. While that may not be true, you have to think of it as through the eyes of nonregulars or google, not just the eyes of you who may think its normal around the board.

Finally and most important to you, those kind of replies have a greater chance of not being read. Its so easy to ignore a copy/paste thread because they are usually just a long list of features with no indication on what they do meet. If its everything, give some more information about the host.

A hint I can give you, to not only maximize your replies but can really make you look a lot better is straight from the rules thanks to Jan.
Jan said:
When answering a request, you must include
1. The URL to the plan
2. The price
3. Describe or name the features you offer that match the original request.

For instance, if someone asks, "Which webhosts offer 12 gigs of traffic?" If you offer such a package you may respond only if you describe what you offer in the format described above. Simply saying "we offer what you want, visit our site" is not allowed.

Following this format instead of a copy/paste method will really help.

If you have any more questions or concerns, feel free to let any of the mod/admin team know, all of us are here to help and make this a fun place, not just here to ruin fun ;)

I understand the need to reply to the thread and not copy paste however, there is only so many plans people have they cant change them for every offer or else you get people saying "he offerd this much for that much on another thread"
Yes you need to answer all the OP's questions but I dont see why its a issue to copy your plan your offering???

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe we're allowed to copy plans, so long as we still answer the OP's request. I think the rule is against just plain copying and pasting without even reading the original request.

I think the rule is against just plain copying and pasting without even reading the original request.
Right :) Copying the same response without even reading is not helpful to anyone. Someone wants windows hosting and 10GB bandwidth (for example) and along comes mistercopyandpastehost offering his 100GB linux plan. If you can't read a simple request, how can you supply support that might be more involved.

This would be activate as Jan said above.Replies without to see the start post-request.
But as Volt-networks said,if the same plan fit the op request,then I think c/p must be allowed.
Regards

Yeah, but that same plan won't fit every request, that is where things are going wrong. If you don't have a plan to suit, don't offer unless you can create a custom plan to suit.

Ok, Just confirming. thanks. :)
I find it annoying when people post plans without even looking at the request
It is really annoying.

Nothing wrong with copy-pasting if the plan fits, the rule should be don't post offers which doesn't meet the poster's requirements.

You can't physically prove somebody is copy-pasting either.

Right :) Copying the same response without even reading is not helpful to anyone. Someone wants windows hosting and 10GB bandwidth (for example) and along comes mistercopyandpastehost offering his 100GB linux plan. If you can't read a simple request, how can you supply support that might be more involved.
james they are talking about people who copy and past the same plan over and over in all requests no matter what the OP asked for.

Yes,

But the rules arn't really explained very well and is confusing. If you have rules like "don't post the same stuff over and over again by copy-pasting which might not even fit the request." then many things are dubious and also, actions and judgements will vary mod to mod.

There are a number of reasons we do not allow copied/pasted replies

Should be a simple rule: Offers which don't meet the features of the request will be deleted.

Just my two pence.

If the request is 10GB and the offer is 100GB, that is only meant to be a good thing and some hosts are naturally more overselling. You can't quash an offer because it's more than what the request asks for.

If the request is 10GB and the offer is 100GB, that is only meant to be a good thing and some hosts are naturally more overselling. You can't quash an offer because it's more than what the request asks for.

quoted out of agreement
If they are asking for 1G and get 20G and its still in the price range that should be allowed
if the offer is way out of the price range then it should be bad
Or if someone asks for Directadmin and people spam cpanel etc but as for bandwidth and HDD I dont think you should have to match the request with.

This does happen on occasion, if someone posts wanting 2gb of transfer and someone offers them 500gb, we may just use that delete button ;) And if it just flat out doesn't come close to what the OP wanted, again, delete.

I absolutely hate copy/paste as it is a very cheap lazy way to attract clients. I was just wondering has anyone noticed in the rules:

Which webhosts offer 12 gigs of traffic?

Is that 12,000,000,000 visitors monthly or what? Are they targetted? I wish I could find a host that offered that.

I absolutely hate copy/paste as it is a very cheap lazy way to attract clients. I was just wondering has anyone noticed in the rules:

Is that 12,000,000,000 visitors monthly or what? Are they targetted? I wish I could find a host that offered that.

12 Gigs is a little over 12 thousand megs. Many hosts offer that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back