• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Connecting laptop to TV via an S-Video cable. No sound!?!?!???

XeonGX

Hello,
My laptop has an s-Video out, and my TV has an s-Video in. So I figured out I could connect the laptop to the TV to watch some movies/play games on bigger screen.
I connected successfully, And was able to split my laptop's display on the TV aswell.
Now the problem is that I can't get the sound to play from my TV instead of my laptop's speaker.
I had a cable which had the same kind of endings. 3.5mm audio on both endings.
My laptop has the out, and I don't know about my TV, if it was out, or in.
I tried the cable anyways, but it didn't work.
So I'm guessing that I need a cable thats 3.5mm from one ending and RCA audio from the other.
Probably something like this.
d6e0_1.JPG

Now does this cable has a particular name?
Is it the right cable? because I don't want the opposite, like takes the audio from TV to Laptop's speaker.
Does anybody have similar experience/solution?

The cable I have has 4-pinned s-Video on both endings,
And the s-Video on my laptop is 4-pin.
I searched for the s-Video cable that has 3 RCA endings and found out that they have 7-pins which I can't connect to my laptop.

I've always just called those 3.5 to stereo Y cables. I don't know if they have a technical name, but that is the cable you need to go from your headphone [audio out] on your laptop to your audio input on the back of the television.

That would be called 1/8 (1/8th inch) mini to RCA.

That's what one would use on your mixing board to connect to the phone in and outs. I have a behrginer mixer that I use that cable with. One would also be wanting to purchase a 1/8" to 1/4" male to male, for some line in iPod use.

Last edited:
Or another is a 3.5mm stereo jack to 2x phono.

Hundreds of names for the same thing but print out the picture you posted and take it to the store as that should do it :)

Yeah, if you're actually in the audio industry you wouldn't refer to it as 3.5mm as it's...just not referred to as that. Just gave what I call it in the technical sense. Yes just show the picture and they should know. If they don't, you're at futureshop.

Decker, phono is the big 6.3mm jacks, not RCA.

No that's a 1/4" jack (6.35mm) - in the UK it's called a phono plug, which is also called an RCA but that's more of an americanism. (see links below)

They have differing 'local' names all over - which is why I suggested taking the picture with them :p

http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/s...ccladdljemhkfmcefeceeldgkidhgf.0&cacheID=ukie

and

http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/s...ccladdljemhkfmcefeceeldgkidhgf.0&cacheID=ukie

I wouldn't call them phono, might be because I'm Canadian. :)
:lol:

It's pretty historical here, as long as I can remember they've been phonos - and that's a long time :eek3:

Possibly due to the audio connection (no pun intended) to the old phonogram as the first one, if they get called RCA I'm used to that too though :)

Back