• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Complete Redesign

Giancarlo

NLC
NLC
I decided to go with this Image Kit from Elated.

I am wondering if it is any better than the previous sites I have made... all the content is up this time. I am narrowing my focus though, as school work is a pain in the arse. So sorry about the lesser amount of sections. But in retrospect, I will have more articles on world conflicts up instead of having more sections.

http://www.glomar.net/gc

Originally posted by MindRash
You need to make the links at the top bigger, and I don't realy like the 'darkness' of it

I'll do that.. luckily I didn't screw up, and have it all on a CSS style sheet.

Dark? It isn't dark...

Originally posted by conkermaniac
You know I don't rate templates without content... :(

The site is already complete... I am going to upload a few new articles into the World Conflicts section, perhaps a few new cities and that is it. If you would of read my original post at all, which you apparently did not, you would notice I stated that I don't have time meaning I have to narrow the focus of my site quite a bit.

Comments:

- The template looks very awkward, especially that left section. I can't figure out why there is an h, nor can I understand why there is a thing jutting out from the image. However, I do know that the blue under the image does not look good at all. It's definitely much better than the last one, that's for sure.

- That underlined green text to highlight the "News Update" does not look good. Better organization of text needed on the main page. Stuff like "Introduction" and "News Update" could be made into an image that resembles the main title (GCNetwork), except smaller.

- Good choice of colors overall! I guess the template isn't so bad after all. :D

- Perhaps use an image for each of the World Conflicts sections? That's probably asking for too much, but you at least need an image for "World Conflicts"! The same goes for "Military Links", "Contact", "Free E-mail", etc.

- About the "Contact" page. What's up with having your e-mail in plain text and then afterwards putting a link saying "Click here to e-mail me." Why not just make the text "Email: gcarl@postmark.net" a link by itself?

- "SimCity3000" section...Why bother adding "Many Cool Cities to download"? Just keep your regular link called "Cities" and that's all you need. Continuing into the "Cities" section, I don't understand why you added (Your Name Here). It makes the page look bad. As I always say, "If you don't have something, don't include it!" Since you don't have enough cities, don't add useless junk to distract the visitors.

- Now onto the "Free E-mail" section...could you get a free e-mail with username@glomar.net? I think users would like that better than username@gcgames.i-p.com.

- The only page that I haven't yet criticized, the "Military Links" section. Not much to mention here, except you have a "Back" link here. Since I don't see it on any of the other pages, I say stick with consistency and get rid of it.

Content: B- (81)
Layout: B (87)
Formatting*: B+ (89)
Technical: A- (92)

* Formatting includes images, colors, text, links, tables, etc.

Overall (not an average): 87%

Okay... I took that criticism into advice... and put it to use... I improve everything.

That H thing, actually says "hi", you notice?

The template looks very awkward, especially that left section. I can't figure out why there is an h, nor can I understand why there is a thing jutting out from the image. However, I do know that the blue under the image does not look good at all. It's definitely much better than the last one, that's for sure.

Well I really don't know how I can improve that... it supposably says "Hi"... but I can't do anything about that blue.

That underlined green text to highlight the "News Update" does not look good. Better organization of text needed on the main page. Stuff like "Introduction" and "News Update" could be made into an image that resembles the main title (GCNetwork), except smaller.

Well I did get rid of that underlined green text and changed it. But I am not that great at making images if you could make me one I will use it.

Perhaps use an image for each of the World Conflicts sections? That's probably asking for too much, but you at least need an image for "World Conflicts"! The same goes for "Military Links", "Contact", "Free E-mail", etc.

Done... and I did it for every page.

About the "Contact" page. What's up with having your e-mail in plain text and then afterwards putting a link saying "Click here to e-mail me." Why not just make the text "Email: gcarl@postmark.net" a link by itself?

Fixed that.

"SimCity3000" section...Why bother adding "Many Cool Cities to download"? Just keep your regular link called "Cities" and that's all you need.

Well, I will get around to changing that next time... I forgot to.

Just keep your regular link called "Cities" and that's all you need. Continuing into the "Cities" section, I don't understand why you added (Your Name Here). It makes the page look bad. As I always say, "If you don't have something, don't include it!" Since you don't have enough cities, don't add useless junk to distract the visitors.

Well sorry about that... that is fixed.

Now onto the "Free E-mail" section...could you get a free e-mail with username@glomar.net? I think users would like that better than username@gcgames.i-p.com.

That would be a pain in the neck, and even if I did have a script to do it for me I wouldn't have enough POP3 accounts to give out.

The only page that I haven't yet criticized, the "Military Links" section. Not much to mention here, except you have a "Back" link here. Since I don't see it on any of the other pages, I say stick with consistency and get rid of it.

Fixed.

Well I really don't know how I can improve that... it supposably says "Hi"... but I can't do anything about that blue.

Hmm...I couldn't figure that out. Now that you point it out, it does look like "hi", but it's very hard to see.

Well, I will get around to changing that next time... I forgot to.

You've really updated that SimCity section well! I see much more sections now. Very informative. :)

Done... and I did it for every page.

I think you misunderstood me. I meant make the actual titles images. :) Anyway, the images look great. I think that I'll consider suggesting the idea of adding "side images" for future webmasters.

I would give your site an 89% now.

Originally posted by conkermaniac
Hmm...I couldn't figure that out. Now that you point it out, it does look like "hi", but it's very hard to see.

You know I just figured that.

I think you misunderstood me. I meant make the actual titles images. :) Anyway, the images look great. I think that I'll consider suggesting the idea of adding "side images" for future webmasters.

Oh well. It looks good anyways..

I would give your site an 89% now.

Thanks.

Originally posted by cheatpark
Perhaps your site should have forums.

Uhoh... I knew I forgot something.

But a mistake I made was with the menu... I didn't know how I could put it in the CSS so I would have to go through each page and individually change each. Anyways, I need a remotely hosted bulletin board...

Last edited:
Okay, I have added forums... however, they are remotely hosted ones.... they aren't that great, but they are good enough.

LOL, CGI-Spy...Isn't that the WWW-board style one? Anyway, I think you should pick Upperboard. It looks a lot neater. Plus, they've fixed out a lot of the problems that I mentioned in my review. I just haven't gotten enough time to edit my reviews. :)

http://www.9cy.com/~freeboards

Never mind, I am going with a PHP board called PHPBB... but it keeps on giving me this message:

Testing DB Connection...
Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Unknown MySQL Server Host '/board' (0) in /home/glomar/glomar-www/gc/phpbb/install.php on line 39
Error, I could not connect to the database at /board. Using username Giancarlo and password ********.
Please go back and try again.

What is the problem?

Back