• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Compare Boards

What's your favorite board?

• V-Bulletin

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • YABB

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Invision Forums

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • PhpBB

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • openBB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • eboard

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

uglykid

I think Invision Board and PhpBB 2.0 is just as good as VBulletin. Why do you have to pay to use vbulletin, while you can get invision board for free.

Post on which is your favorite forum/Board.

This is probably the most overdone thread ever...

And phpBB and InvisionBoard are pathetic when compared to vB. PhpBB is terrible when it comes to features, and InvisionBoard is OK but, dare I say, it's a copy of IkonBoard in PHP. And I've heard that it's control panel sucks. I just prefer something more original. :)

Well, I just like feedback. I personally like invision the best because of its colors and graphics. My favorite "database-free" board is eboard - has many features like phpbb, but requires no database.

I like the shading colors of invision. I wonder how they do that. With an image or a style sheet???

Thanks for your feedback

Originally posted by conkermaniac

And phpBB and InvisionBoard are pathetic when compared to vB. PhpBB is terrible when it comes to features, and InvisionBoard is OK but, dare I say, it's a copy of IkonBoard in PHP. And I've heard that it's control panel sucks. I just prefer something more original. :)
This comment is probably the most overdone too. :rolleyes:
InvisionBoard is the best, I've to agree.

What do you mean by "Original"???

They all use smilies and stuff...

Originally posted by uglykid

What do you mean by "Original"???

They all use smilies and stuff...

Yeah, but I like designs that vary a tiny bit...It's probably just me, but IBForums and IB are just too close to comfort for me. Using your smiley example, I like boards with the smilies feature. However, when two different board scripts use essentially the same smilies, then it does annoy me a bit...The emoticons on IBForums and IB are almost exactly alike. I like those emoticons, but I'm getting a bit tired of seeing them too... :confused2

You do know that the creator for Invision Board also created Ikonboard right? So it's bound to be similar, especially since they're only so many ways you can make a forum look...

Yeah, but I like designs that vary a tiny bit...It's probably just me, but IBForums and IB are just too close to comfort for me. Using your smiley example, I like boards with the smilies feature. However, when two different board scripts use essentially the same smilies, then it does annoy me a bit...The emoticons on IBForums and IB are almost exactly alike. I like those emoticons, but I'm getting a bit tired of seeing them too... :confused2
Smilies don't make forums conker. Take it or leave it, and don't defame them.

Originally posted by Belgiumdude
I really like phpbb..and what features has phpvb more then phpbb?

I know, what does vbb has that phpbb doesn't?
(probably cost:cool: )

Key conker:
:) :eek: :chinese2: :bandit2:

Does that scare you?

Originally posted by granddbz

I know, what does vbb has that phpbb doesn't?
(probably cost:cool: )

Key conker:
:) :eek: :chinese2: :bandit2:

Does that scare you?

far superior support; less bugs; and far more features...also, you get more and better hacks. Plus, less people use vB than phpBB, and you don't get tired of seeing the same scheme.

You didn't say anything about price, so I ignored that factor.

yeah youve heard, but have not seen or used

But if at least 5 people say so, I think that is probably does suck. I'll try it out sometime...I've never seen a control panel on a free script better than some of the remote hosts.

Smilies don't make forums conker. Take it or leave it, and don't defame them.

I only mentioned smilies because of uglykid's comment. There are other things that show it...

You do know that the creator for Invision Board also created Ikonboard right? So it's bound to be similar, especially since they're only so many ways you can make a forum look...

And you do know that the creator of Ikonboard 3.0 also created Ikonboard 2.0, right? Yet those two boards are different in looks. So I assume he could also make InvisionBoard look different.

Yes, but you can't copy your own work since you made it. And like I said, there are only so many ways you can make the board look.

InvisionBoard v1.1 will be far superior than Jarvis's Ikonboard, who in fact copied InvisionBoard skin when they were testing for a php version of their board. Then they bought IncrediBB on eBay of all places because they can't even code a php board for themselves. There was a huge article a long time ago at the General Chat of IBForums about it, I can't find it right now, but I'll pass a link if I run into it.

Anyways, this is getting off-topic so I'll end with this:

InvisionBoard is the best free board on the market.
vBulletin is the best forum on the market.

You guys should check out a thread similar to this in SitePoint.com, Matt Mecham (creator of Invision Board and iKonboard) posted there too...

Both Clangrounds and I hang out at Invision Board Forums (http://forums.ibforums.com)... anyway...

The smilies in IB (iKonboard) and IBF (Invision Board) are similar because they were created by the same person. The creator wanted JEG (owner of ikonboard) to remove all the graphics he has done for them but they refuse to.

If you look at JEG's website and Invision Powrs website, you will see the same "V" (and again, they were made by the first person)

Invision Board has only been in development for about 3-4 months. phpBB and vBB have been around MUCH longer. Matt worked hard and Invision Board is faster than vBB and phpBB. You guys may think I'm lying but I have the proof. The people over at IBF have tested all three.

I'll fetch the url right now but just to give you a preview, IBF is faster than vB but not by alot and phpBB is just SLOW.

Here's the url:
http://www.invisionboard.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=30&t=13304&hl=

The Admin CP is actually the friendliest of seen and used. The problems with it were Emoticon Management and the Skinning which have been completely redone.

http://www.invisionboard.com/forums/index.php?act=SF&f=30

Take a look at the pinned topics. The images look very juicy. The Moderator CP was also very unfriendly and was completely redone.

And you do know that the creator of Ikonboard 3.0 also created Ikonboard 2.0, right? Yet those two boards are different in looks. So I assume he could also make InvisionBoard look different.
That's ur assumption. Why can't he make a hugely popular style again?

Originally posted by The Red Guy
That's ur assumption. Why can't he make a hugely popular style again?
that's true. if the style was popular, why cant they make another of the same style?

phpBB and invision board are both great. I like XMB forum as well.

I am slightly biased towards invisionboard because I moderate a large one (10600+ members) and its fast, resource friendly, and there are lots of hacks. If only phpBB and invision were a little easier to make custom skins for.

Originally posted by granddbz

that's true. if the style was popular, why cant they make another of the same style?

As I said and have been stressing (with evidence ofcourse :)) Invision Board is the fastest and most resource friendly board.

The current stable version of IBF is 1.0. The author has rewritten the Skinning system, emoticon management system and has revamped the moderator control panel.

First of all, let me just say I voted for IBF. :p

Secondly, IB doesn't use the same emoticons as IBF, both boards use different emoticons as they both created new sets.

Third, IB and IBF also look much different in appearance. IB is using a new bluish/gray (like openBB :rolleyes: ) design and IBF is using the blue/orange design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back