• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Community feedback

Seraphim

Peo said:
If you don't like some things about this place and say so, it's ok. I don't mind. We get better by listening to suggestions on how to improve the forum. So, thanks for valuable feedback in this thread and in the feedback section.

I'd like to hear the staff's side of the story on this. Lately there has been a ton of community feedback regarding the way things are being handled, and it really is being largely ignored or at least appears to be.

Aside from the regular swinging of the hammer of ban on rule-breakers, which is as it should be, a lot of other nagging issues have been brought up repeatedly without any response from the staff other than simply closing or hiding the thread.

For instance:
This is just silly. I can see disabling rep entirely on someone who caused a fight with it, but disabling negative only? Why bother.

This has been revisited time and time again. There are too many advertising bots in the offers and request sections. I know it is impossible to keep them all out, but there should be sufficient manpower in the staff to remove them quickly

There is also all of the mtw-related stuff. He really didn't learn and even now is probably still out there somewhere trying to push his con artist tactics onto somebody gullible enough to believe him or willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. That ban should have come far sooner, when he first got a sponsor and abused it.

Not only that, but this latest round- using the world filter against other sites. Although it may be in the interests of protecting FWS from what could be a rival site, I think it is also blatant abuse of authority. There is no reason for a site to be blocked like that other than if it is a fraudulent host or malware distributor, both of which would harm site guests.

I could list a lot more, but I'm busy here and haven't the time. Before this thread goes to the same obvlivion as they all have been going to lately, I want to hear what the staff have to say for themselves. And not just Peo or Jan, all of the staff should have something to say about this.

If they don't, they probably aren't doing their jobs and should be marked for forced resignation and replacement.

i would like to address your first statement about things being ignored. i dont think they are being ignored, they are just removing all of our feedback, so, the problems must not exist.

please note the sarcasm.

I've replied to some of this in other threads already. But yeah in short I appreciate your feedback. I don't think calling people nazis and communist is feedback though. So, if you really want feedback then post a complaint in a civilized way in the feedback section.

As for the things you bring up.

Changes to -rep is under consideration. I've explained my position in the thread you link to.

Ad bots, yeah it's a problem since some of those start out as regular members and then use a bot from what I understand. It's a problem for sure, so we try to remove those the best we can. I know it's annoying when I remind you to report it to us, but that's one way to reduce the problem faster.

I'm not sure why there's a need to bring back the mtw discussion? I think we're all done with that one.

The deeplist situation has been explained in another thread.

Again, if you have a problem you can ask me. But if you start calling me a nazi or whatever don't expect an answer. I don't talk to you like that and if we are going to solve small and big problems here as a community I think real feedback is important. Thanks.

You guys know what? Nowadays, I am fear to even respond in any thread without having the risk of getting infraction.
The whole FWS is like having landmine everywhere and if posted a single wrong response, will get the risk of having infraction or getting banned, although sometimes, it does not break any of the rules.
This is the reason why you see, I did not respond much in those controversial threads nowadays...

No, it has not been explained because every time we brought it up, you or Jan deleted the threads and/or posts on it. You added a url to your word filter for no apparent reason. You have yet to explain specifically why. There is no valid reason to have done so because there is no rule regarding it, unless of course, you see our little 17 member forum as a threat to you.

Things brings up the next point. If you're going to block our URL simply for being another webmaster based forum, then I would expect you to block every other webmaster based forum url as well, specifically webhostingtalk.com because if you don't, this sure appears to be a double standard on your part or some kind of bias.

Since the other thread is closed, and this thread is used for continue the whole discussion, then I think it is appropriate to post this here.

the censorship of needh**sting.org is just one thing that is a bit over the top. it is the list of many other complaints that have been brought up around the forum from kiddie hosts using nulled WHMCS and scamming people to the number of reports that just go unchanged and a blind eye shown to them to complaints about things on the forum just being removed instead of being addressed. that is just completely absurd. you have known me for about 6 years now Carl, and I think that you would know that I am not going to just pull crap out of my butt to create an issue, but, things here lately are not good. even Neil (BlankVerse) left. it is sad.

The sad thing is, when we are scolding some of these kiddie host who uses nulled WHMCS, about what they did is wrong, we might get infractions for "Host responding to another host's ad thread." as well.
Honestly, this place has become a place where people can easily get kick out for doing nothing wrong.

Yeah, that's not why it got removed. See the thread where you asked about it and I explained the situation. That's the point.

The sad thing is, when we are scolding some of these kiddie host who uses nulled WHMCS, about what they did is wrong, we might get infractions for "Host responding to another host's ad thread." as well.

Let me know if that has ever happened and I'll look into it. It doesn't sound plausible, but I'm sure we can make errors at times.

I've replied to some of this in other threads already. But yeah in short I appreciate your feedback. I don't think calling people nazis and communist is feedback though. So, if you really want feedback then post a complaint in a civilized way in the feedback section.

As for the things you bring up.

Changes to -rep is under consideration. I've explained my position in the thread you link to.

Ad bots, yeah it's a problem since some of those start out as regular members and then use a bot from what I understand. It's a problem for sure, so we try to remove those the best we can. I know it's annoying when I remind you to report it to us, but that's one way to reduce the problem faster.

I'm not sure why there's a need to bring back the mtw discussion? I think we're all done with that one.

Again, if you have a problem you can ask me. But if you start calling me a nazi or whatever don't expect an answer. I don't talk to you like that and if we are going to solve small and big problems here as a community I think real feedback is important. Thanks.

Hey Peo, have you ever learned to ignore things?

Just cause people can throw names and labels doesn't mean you have to be a little ----- about it, grow up... You're the OWNER, deal with the problems of the forum instead of saying ---- it to feedback because it labels or calls a name.

Read between the lines, literally

Please point it out because I do not see what you're referring to.

Again ^^

Please point out specifically where you explained WHY our URL was banned. I recall one post you made that said "you know why" and then it was deleted.

as i already stated, i did NOT call anyone in particular a Nazi or a communist, but, i DID say that this place seems to be being run LIKE one. there is a difference in calling someone a Nazi or saying the site is being run like a Nazi regime.

now, back to my comment on my closed, but not deleted thread (thanks for not deleting this time), i have offered my help a number of times, but it keeps being denied for no real reason. can i actually get a real reason, here or in a PM? i want to see the forum grow just as im sure you do, but, at this point, it isnt, it's dying.

Let me know if that has ever happened and I'll look into it. I doesn't sound plausible, but I'm sure we can make errors at times.

I would like to know why these reply are deleted?
Screenshot-2011-10-31_07.18.46.png

Screenshot-2011-10-31_08.04.41.png

I mean from Tyler ones.
As I can see, it did not mention anything about Nazi or Communist in his reply.

Doesn't matter anymore, you put it right back in despite the warning and very thoughtful and respectful explanation I gave you. Sorry, but that's it.

I mean from Tyler ones.
As I can see, it did not mention anything about Nazi or Communist in his reply.

You even included the communist comment. So, thanks you're making my point. I have replied to the questions in that thread.

I thought that forums were for fun/information? Is everything alright with you mods/admin? Are you guys mad about something or having it rough? It just doesn't make sense to any of us.

Peo, the slander is coming from the people's frustration. They've been trying to provide feedback for some time, but often in ways that are overlooked or outright removed in the course of moderating other issues. Not everyone has the patience to calmly talk over their problems for days on end, and many will only tolerate such for a certain amount of time before resorting to insult exchange to express their dislike.

I bring back up the mtw issue because the lack of action on the part of the staff in dealing with him is what brought a lot of these other issues to people's attention. Not only is he not yet permanently banned, but at that time the staff turned a deaf ear to the community that it was supposed to be listening to and serving the needs of. Even a little bit more reliable moderator intervention in that matter would have prevented a lot of what happened, especially when things started going downhill with him.

And the other issues, many of the replies were in fact deleted as the threads were removed for various reasons. I would like to see those reasons again, working through the bulk of the laundry list that has been piling up with repeat concerns that the feedback to was ignored. Starting with the issue of why a site would be censored without just cause, if you were going to resort to that you could actually save yourself a lot of trouble by censoring the URLs of resellers known for fraud- which would at least be worthwhile.

The term Nazi Moderator isn't unique to this board. It's commonly applied to any staff member who regularly takes drastic action without clear justification even after the fact, and I can understand why the current staff would have a reputation for such. All that is needed to fix it is do a better job of explaining your actions when making decisions. Although it is not really our place to challenge your authority, I believe it would smooth over a lot of issues if you would at least tell us why a particular thread was locked or removed so that in the future we know what to avoid.

The point of the moderation of a forum is to preserve relative order and functionality of a community site by selectively pruning content that is not beneficial to that community. It is not the place of a moderator to be choosing what rules will and will not be followed reliably, and even the site owner must respect the wishes of the community if it is to last. When the moderating team stops serving the community they were chosen to protect and starts working off if their own interests, the community goes the way this one has and begins to rebel.

Because from what I see here, the moderating team has begun to directly take action against the regular membership of the community through it's inaction in dealing with the problems the community faces, and excessive force in dealing with matters that really shouldn't need moderation at all.

I thought that forums were for fun/information? Is everything alright with you mods/admin? Are you guys mad about something or having it rough? It just doesn't make sense to any of us.

Yeah. Well, I might respond to that at some point. :(

Right now I'm fed up with those two and I'm just not taking any more crap from them. It's been going on for way too long. Sorry if my patience with others have not been as good as it should have been today. I apologize for that.

Right now I'm fed up with those two and I'm just not taking any more crap from them. It's been going on for way too long. Sorry if my patience with others have not been as good as it should have been today. I apologize for that.

I would appreciate it if the other moderators as they became aware of it add their perspective of the situation and reasoning for the controversial decisions they have made recently. So far it has only been you to reply here, no wonder you're stressed out if moderating the entire place is really being done by one maybe two people. Could you send for the rest of the staff and have them post their standings on this issue?

There's no offense intended to anyone in these discussions. If people didn't like the community, they wouldn't waste their time posting suggestions to try to improve it. I just wish that some of these suggestions were listened to instead of being avoided or pushed off.

Back