• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Cloud computing

Peo

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I'm considering trying out some cloud solutions from rackspacecloud. Not for FWS, another site. Their cloud servers option looks very promising. Does anyone have any experience in hosting sites there or somewhere else using cloud hosting? Any hosts here offering cloud hosting?

I was checking into Mosso a long time ago, I forgot about them because it was about a year before anything changed. It was just the landing page. I might try them out in the future when I need them.

Peo I believe most of web hosting providers offering that must have forums. That can be their cloud hosting customers do not posts here and their own forums could be ghood place to do the search on. Just a thought.

Yes, rackspacecloud was previously known as mosso. So far rackspace is the most interesting cloud host I've found. I'm leaning towards the Cloud sites option instead of Cloud servers. But then I miss out on all the fun in adding more ram one day and removing it the next. Also, the number of "computing cycles" is a little bit hard to estimate, but I guess I'm below the limit on that.

I'd be interested in using rackspacecloud. Looks very nice. I'd love it to manage my shared hosting clients. And just buy separate dedicated servers for my nodes/vps users.

Rackspacecloud just increased the price for their Cloud sites option. From $100 per month to $149 per month. Why did I wait...?

Hmm, I am gonna order a cloud server with these guys and see how it gos..
I dont need alot of bandwidth its going to be a mail server.

Hmm, I am gonna order a cloud server with these guys and see how it gos..
I dont need alot of bandwidth its going to be a mail server.

Make sure you have informed them about that. I recommend discuss that with your web hosting provider in any case. mail server is separated subject

This is an interesting topic. Cloud Hosting is still not precisely defined as term wehn it comes to the service. On an infrastructure level it is clear, but not when it comes to different types of service. Rackspace are pioneers in this and shall be considered from anyone who needs to move to the clouds.

Hello,

i just search for Cloud Computing and i got here...

I have good news for you:
A New European Cloud Hosting Provider Launched...in Bulgaria, one of the newest members of the European Union, country with rapidly growing IT hosting industry.

Fully redundant, scalable Cloud hosting that runs cPanel/WHM.

The average round-trip delay (RTT) time for European home users who ping Cloud.bg ranges from 10 ms to 60 ms. Pinged from London Cloud.bg is reachable for 47 ms, from Ljubljana, Slovenia - 35 ms, from Paris - 71 ms, from Madrid - 77, from Berlin - 47 ms, from Sofia, Bulgaria - 1.5 ms, etc. The average RTT for Israel is 97 ms.

Thanks

I have read about a new Cloud hosting provider - http://www.cloud.bg/en - that has been launched in Europe. It is a cPanel/WHM based cloud hosting and probably the first of its kind. It is quite interesting and I have personally used it for my video podcast.

I'm trying out VPS.net at the moment. They have an interesting cloud solution similar to Rackspacecloud Server. I like the idea behind the concept of instantly adding new nodes when needed. Each node consist of 0.4GHz dedicated CPU, 256MB RAM, 10GB storage and 250GB bandwidth. I tried to add a node and it worked nicely. The machine restarted within a couple of minutes and suddenly I had one more node. I have contacted support once and they replied within minutes.

Since I've just started using it, I'm not ready to recommend it just yet. The first impression has been very positive though. I'll give you an update in a couple of weeks/months.

It's been more than 2 months since I last updated here with my experience on vps.net.

In short it's been great. I will write a full review when I get the time. Some quick thoughts:

There's been one or two minor problems that got sorted very fast by support. The best part of their solution is obviously that you can grow without having to make a huge investment right away. This is what makes cloud hosting so interesting. You purchase nodes monthly or daily. There's no long term contract. I beleive it's even possible to try them out at only $1 per day. I started out with 3 nodes and right now I use 20 nodes. Each node represents 600MHz of processor usage over a 1 minute average.

When I started out it could take a couple of minutes to upgrade. Now they have a new solution and it takes less than a minute to upgrade cpu. It's just a quick reboot. It will take longer if you need to upgrade disk space. They have already included plenty of space with each node so I don't need that.

When you notice that traffic is increasing from for instance a stumbleupon link to your site, you can add a node for just a day when traffic is high and it cost only $1 per node.

It's definately worth a try if you have a site where traffic goes up and down very quickly. Or if you plan on a big project that might need a dedicated server in a couple of months but right now get less traffic. That will save a lot of money. If you are a new or small host I imagine this kind of solution would be worth looking into.

Peo you know you are not the first I hear good words about their VPS solutions. It looks like they love each customer they have.

Some of my sites was hosted with rackspace cloud servers (unmanaged vps cloud plan) for a brief month and it's fabulous. I have only good things to say about them. From what I saw, no downtime and the server response has always been top notch.

They have also got a 24 / 7 live chat support in place - very well worth it considering the most basic plan costs just $11 a month. Come on, it's rackspace.

Never had any experience with cloud sites (managed) though.

The Rackspace Cloud is a web application hosting or cloud platform provider ("Cloud Sites") that bills on a utility computing basis. It has since branched out into cloud storage ("Cloud Files") and cloud infrastructure ("Cloud Servers") and is "already a real leader in the cloud" according to analyst Signal Hill.

Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rackspace_Cloud

Back