• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Choosing windows or Linux server

roxxy

At the time of purchasing a hosting as first you have to choose the platform of the hosting like Windows and Linux. Generally Linux Hosting is far cheaper then Windows. but this is completely dependent on your website development if your site is built using ASP then you have to choose windows server and using PHP then you have to choose Linux server. Many windows server supports Linux also for this you have to read their manual or package includes.

Many windows server supports Linux also for this you have to read their manual or package includes.
You meant PHP instead of Linux I think. So if I read your statements right, the conclusion would be that you don't have to go Linux if you're using PHP. ;)

Actually if a windows server has PHP and Mysql installed, you will get no problem to host your php scripts on a windows server. Anyway, as my friend always said, why learn English from a French? If you are going to host php script, it is better for you to use linux servers.

Lots of confusing bits in there.

Generally Linux Hosting is far cheaper then Windows
Should be *nix (not just Linux flavours) as some are FreeBSD based - a solid secure platform too - trivial point yes I know - and not really - as it is dependant on what extras you need, as in management/control software.

but this is completely dependent on your website development if your site is built using ASP then you have to choose windows server and using PHP then you have to choose Linux server
not correct as both will support both - previously with limitations there were conditions but very few now.

The next bit confused me
Many windows server supports Linux also for this you have to read their manual or package includes.
would this be as virtual servers, or well or??? MS servers don't support *nix, but modules that are cross platform will mesh okay.

Apache, PHP, PERL, MySQL, are all available for both platforms (I use all for dev purposes on a local system) , MS products don't tend to go the 'other way' they stay on the dark side. Where is the MS SQL version for Linux....

So really you can host in any environment unless you need support for something not supported by your host.

Back