• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Chicago

Bryson

Anyone ever been, or live in Chicago? My girlfriend is in school for Public Relations, with about a year left. We had thought about Phoenix, but Chicago is looking like a more reasonable option. Better places, nicer places, seasonal weather, and the crime rate is about the same. Any opinions?

Pheonix is a bitch to live in. +40 degrees Celsius every day... I don't see anything wrong with Chicago, except their hockey team blows.

You can always emmigrate to the cheapest metropolis to live in, in all of North America: Ottawa... But Ottawa's hockey team sucks too, so move to Montreal. ;)

It would be against my religion to move to Ottawa. I have been a Flyers fan since they lost the cup to Edmonton in what was it 86? The guys across the street were from there, and were very very happy when they won. Also, Id be going from one cursed city to another, Philly hasnt won anything in 25 years, we now have the longest streak for not winning a championship for a city with 4 major sports teams. So going to Chicago would be an upgrade. Of course, Ill still be supporting my hometown teams. By the way, Im glad the NHL and NHLPA finally got their acts together. Another year of that, and I probably would have turned to basketball.

I would hate to see the day when that comes.

Ottawa hasn't won anything in just aslong as the Flyers have. You'd feel right at home there. :p

I live in Chicago. We have 2 seasons - winter and summer. Sometimes it happens that you have to turn up your heating in the morning and turn on the A/C at night (or vice versa.. hasnt happened often but has at least a few times).

As far as crime and quality of life, it depends what part of chicago. I live on the northwest side by the northwest suburbs (right on the border). I live in the 41st Ward, the only Republican Ward in the city (out of 50 alderman, only the 41st ward Alderman is a Republican), and its a relativley quiet and conservative area.

There are other parts of the city where you just can't go out at night. So it really varies based on where in the city.

Where the major universities are, they are generally bad areas. UIC for example (University of Illinois at Chicago) is in a very bad area so if you go to school there (or your gf does) and you get a place next to it you may have to deal with some bad elements.

I would recommend getting a place near a train station or some other form of public transportation so if you don't have a car you can get places quicker and if you do have a car but its snowed in, broken, or the parking is too expensive for where you wanna go (like downtown parking) then you can take public transportation. It costs $2 to get on a bus here and be able to transfer from that bus onto 2 other buses or trains within a 2 hour period, so it is reasonable.

Any other questions just ask.

Sweet, that was what I was looking for. I heard NW and SW Chicago are not too bad. I did some research on that Google Map/Chicago Crime Mash site. Knew that by the lake was bad, as well as south side. Ive been looking at apartments in the NW and SW areas, and man, some are only like 200 more than what I am paying now. I think its riduculous what I pay here compared to that. By the time we would go, she would be done in school, and I hopefully will be making decent money one way or another, or can just transfer to a store out there. Im used to the weather you speak of, heat in the morning, AC at night, was one of the jokes around here. I grew up in the city, with an El and all, so none of that would be new to me. And yes, even our schools are in bad neighborhoods (Temple, U of PA). Pretty much sounds like Philly, only the prices are better I think.

Conscript said:
I live in Chicago. We have 2 seasons - winter and summer.

We have 2 seasons too! Summer and Hurricanes!

I would move to any state that does NOT have earthquakes. I can live with Hurricanes, but earthquakes, no way.

I have no problems living near Phoenix (as it seems a lot of people don't these days). You get used to the heat... Plus you don't have to shovel heat off your driveway if you know what I mean! :wink2:

A typical 1 bedroom apartment in my area will cost you $650 or so. Its pretty reasonable.

If you want a really good area thats close to commuting options, the highway, and all kinds of shopping centers, check out Norridge, IL and Harwood Heights, IL. They are both on the border of Chicago.

Conscript said:
I live in Chicago. We have 2 seasons - winter and summer.

I thought it was winter and construction? :biggrin2:

I grew up in chicago and lived there up until 5 years ago, now I live in the NW burbs of chicago. Me personally I got sick of living in chicago and the city traffic. Easier and cheaper to live in the burbs in some aspects.

nullnic

Conscript said:
A typical 1 bedroom apartment in my area will cost you $650 or so. Its pretty reasonable.

Wow, you could get a 3 1/2 bedroom for $650 CAD in downtown Montreal. Geez, and I thought shit here was expensive.

Conscript said:

If you want a really good area thats close to commuting options, the highway, and all kinds of shopping centers, check out Norridge, IL and Harwood Heights, IL. They are both on the border of Chicago.

I am paying $980/month for a 2 bedroom. But when I was living downtown I was paying $1400/month for a one bedroom and $300 a month of that was parking fees for one spot.

Nullnic

i've lived in near-north at the end of lakeshore drive.. the edgewater-rogers park area was a bit too expensive for me.. (750 for studio + parking extra)... but i never felt the need for a car there because bus and train both were close and the shopping and other stuff were also close.. and the neighborhood was nice (i got a very good view of the lake and the park).. the place was relatively safe.. however i heard that now the rent is going through the roof .. like 1200 for the same studio.. but the place is probably one of the best in chicago (in my opinion)

Last edited:
I think it's safe to say that after two weeks of no replies, this is an old thread that did not need to be brought back.

Blank Verse said:
I think it's safe to say that after two weeks of no replies, this is an old thread that did not need to be brought back.

good point BV but i couldnt resist myself from giving some pointers .. and about the old thread.. we are all entitled to make our comment dont we regardless the age of the thread?

Back