• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Cheapest dedicated server

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrskippy

I'm looking for my own dedicated server or at something pretty darn close to a dedicated server.

What I need:

1 - Ability to host all my domain names
2 - Ability to offer Web hosting
3 - 10-20 GB disk space
4 - 500 GB transfer
5 - Cpanel
6 - Unlimited databases
7 - Unlimited pop3 accts
8 - Subdomains

I don't want to pay too much every month, maybe $50 to $75 at the most. I'd hope there is something out there to meet my needs.

Skippy

Considering Cpanel costs $35 a month off the bat, your not going to find a decent machine for $75 a month with Cpanel.

The $70 isn't a bad deal. But I'd rather have Cpanel 6 and not 5.

I've checked Rachshack. They've got one for $99/month, which is not bad.

CIhost has a entry level dedicated server for $29/month. It's not much and it uses Webamin or something. I'm seeing if Cpanel is an option I can pay for there.

Does Webamin offer any of those script installers like Cpanel? And the easy system for Cron, MySQL setup, Phpmyadmin, etc.?

Originally posted by mrskippy
The $70 isn't a bad deal. But I'd rather have Cpanel 6 and not 5.

You can upgrade to latest stable/release/edge if it's not already.

RS is the best value provider out.

CIhost has a entry level dedicated server for $29/month. It's not much and it uses Webamin or something. I'm seeing if Cpanel is an option I can pay for there.
CIhost is the devil and owned by Interland, stay far far away. Run as fast as you can. ;)

Does Webamin offer any of those script installers like Cpanel? And the easy system for Cron, MySQL setup, Phpmyadmin, etc.?
No. Webmin is a basic server admin cp.

Ahh incorrect, well, at least if you wanted CPanel. The cheapest one with CPanel, is, as i stated above, $109/Month.

Hi There,

One of my friend is having a dedicated server with onestop.net and he is pretty cool about the sevice and package. I heard from him that company provides good support. Although he is paying little above what u said but I would say this company worth chekcing out. You can ask for semi-dedicated servers, if they have any...cuz i myself dont want to go with some provider giving very cheap solution but later on hurting my business with bad support.

Cheers!!!

What about semi- or partially-dedicated server hosts, where the put only a few clients on one server?

Taking into consideration your limited budget, that's your best bet.
Most of the time the difference between a Dedicated Server and VDS is negligible. You have access to all the bells and whistles of a dedicated server for half the cost.

Originally posted by FeaturedServers

Most of the time the difference between a Dedicated Server and VDS is negligible. You have access to all the bells and whistles of a dedicated server for half the cost.

Not the resources. Most VDS are say, Dual P3 1.13ghz, 2gb ECC RAM, and perhaps a few SCSI harddrives, divide that by 4 people and you barely get enough resources to run 1 popular Counter-Strike server without major slowdowns.

Originally posted by Daniel
Not the resources. Most VDS are say, Dual P3 1.13ghz, 2gb ECC RAM, and perhaps a few SCSI harddrives, divide that by 4 people and you barely get enough resources to run 1 popular Counter-Strike server without major slowdowns.

to be sure. bells and whistles refers to features.
the poster mentioned webhosting, i get the impression this is not for a gaming server thus VDS should be fine.

Originally posted by FeaturedServers
to be sure. bells and whistles refers to features.
the poster mentioned webhosting, i get the impression this is not for a gaming server thus VDS should be fine.

Well I can say that if your expecting over 500gb of traffic, a VDS would not be sufficient.

i disagree

Originally posted by Daniel
Well I can say that if your expecting over 500gb of traffic, a VDS would not be sufficient.

there are many variables here..
if somebody is running a VDS off a Duron 950, then of course.
a Pentium4 2.8+ with 1Gig of ram would do just fine, in my experience, and i've put alot more stress on the machine than 4 VDS clients ever could.

So...

4 VDS clients using 500gb each. 2000gb easy a month. That's a constant 8mbps give or take.

A P4 2.8ghz with 1gig of RAM would never, in a hundred years, be able to support that load divided by 4 clients.

A p4 2.8ghz, 1gb of ram and 8mb cache ide hdd's could easily take 8mbps 24/7 as long as it's set-up reasonably.

thanks.

Originally posted by MN-Carl
A p4 2.8ghz, 1gb of ram and 8mb cache ide hdd's could easily take 8mbps 24/7 as long as it's set-up reasonably.

2000gb is only 6.5mbps, give or take, not 8.
i've had no problems at all with any of ours, mind you there is
nothing too intensive running, its simple up and down.

2000gb can be anything.
It depends if you transfer is up/down if you pay for bandwidth on full duplex or half duplex systems or upstream of downstream.
How your ethernet card is set-up.
What is causing the traffic.
What is running.
How it's all set-up.
What is has to do to transfer the data.

Originally posted by MN-Carl

Sure it could, so can my 500mhz Celeron, however, my point is that you just wouldn't have the same amount of resources as a dedicated server.

While doing some beta testing for a well known dedicated server company for VDS kernel set-ups and so on. I was able to push 2MB/s easily 24/7. :p They really loved me doing that as they use InterNAP mainly. :biggrin2: :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back