• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

~Career Guidance~

megacool

Need Advice Please

I want to be a web professional developer. I have been making fine sites since 2 years but have came a long way since. My current skills are HTML(50%),DESIGNING(60%), GRAPHICS(70%), CGI/PHP(10%..Can install/customize almost any script), SQL & other DBs (0%), ASP(0%). I want to know Do i need to know core C and C++ programming to properly learn PHP/ASP .. and what about PERL i think it doesn't have much of a future? correct me if am wrong. What should be my next move in learning/improving. Thanks for your time! I will gladly appreciate any sound advice from you guys :) oh ya and btw, im 17 and 12th grade student and have always learnt almost all of the things on my own.

[Edited by megacool on 12-19-2000 at 01:39 PM]

Heres my 5,00000000 cents.

Well, what exaclty are you going to do. Any big project is usualy done in a team. I have to say it becuase I disagree with this quit a bit, but you might want to start specializing in an area. Becuase you wont be doing everything. Unless you becuase the manager ect. Then you should have atleast 50% knoledge on everything. And for C and C++ and so one, it really depends again, are you doing the designing or are you going to make the scripts your self, are you going to me making sites that need such large programs? Or will stuff like php work. just some things to think about.

And I am also 17, I am a 11th grader, I have tought my self everything. Right now I am the network adimn for a small local ISP. And I do webpage designs for some extra money. I am thinking of just making a small 2 to 3 man company to make and --maintain-- local companys sites. I have got many offers from companys to make there site but I just dont have the time to make it and maintain it too. So if anyone could give me advice on this that would be great.

Originally posted by Remy Canad
Heres my 5,00000000 cents.

Well, what exaclty are you going to do. Any big project is usualy done in a team. I have to say it becuase I disagree with this quit a bit, but you might want to start specializing in an area. Becuase you wont be doing everything. Unless you becuase the manager ect. Then you should have atleast 50% knoledge on everything. And for C and C++ and so one, it really depends again, are you doing the designing or are you going to make the scripts your self, are you going to me making sites that need such large programs? Or will stuff like php work. just some things to think about.

Hi, im 17 and and in 12th grade. You see i live in Pakistan (Asia).. but soon im shifiting to US. So what sorta things i should do. I wanna develop scripts using tools like php/sql. Further more, he ultimate goal remains to start my own small company, but initially i wana work a bit as a free lancer, i will show u my created site soon .. its what u can call as "my first professional project"..done most of it. OF course my main focus is on Coding.. not designing, but i come good along as far as design/graphics are concerned, of course not briliiant but fairly good. So i am asking whats the prequisite for learning php/sql.. ? can u show me any sites u've made?

I need more ideas guys! speak up please..thanks

Back