• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Care to increase your search engine rank?

Theo

According to my recent research :chinese2: BackLink count (the number of pages that are linking to your site) is one of the main factors that search engines use to rank your page.

Tell me if you like this idea:
We all create a separate page on our sites with links to all other FWS member pages. (the ones that want to participate). Then we link to that page from our main page (you can do this invisibly by creating a small button the color of your bg). And then we submit this page to the main search engines.

This is better than Link popularity sites, since those are considered as spam by many search engines and you get penalized.

What do you think?

Hmm...interesting. Nice idea you got. So everyone puts little 1x1 pixel transparent gifs on our pages to everybody else? It's still spamming the search engine in a way...but, maybe not. Maybe you like having a secret link for no purpose.

I wouldn't work out too well though. Maybe for the few sites that actually get some traffic already, but not others.

Originally posted by Canuckkev
So everyone puts little 1x1 pixel transparent gifs on our pages to everybody else?

That could be done also, but i thought it would be easier to have only one invisible button that will link to a normal html page with all the links.

I could even do the most job for you. You supply the links and a short description (3-6 words) and when we get enough of them I will create a "links.html" page. Then all you have to do is to download this page, change the text on the top a litle bit(and rename the page if necessary), upload it to your server and link to it with a button from your main page (even an invisible one if you want). Then i will even submit this page of yours to the main search engines if you are bored to do it yourself.

Maybe for the few sites that actually get some traffic already, but not others.

Well, if your site is not even indexed by the search engines then this will not help. (you can't get a better rank if you are not even there). But it will help the rest. This is not something that will give you a top 10 position if your current rank is 800th on some very comptetive search term (e.g "sex"). But it will improve your rank a couple of pages.

This is a must if you want better results on search engines like google. Because the way their search engine "thinks" is something like this: If nobody (or almost nobody) links to your page, nobody likes your page so your page must be worthless. If a lot of people link to your page it means that there must be something importand there.

Even for people that already have a lot of backlinks, some more will only benefit them. And with the invisible button way they have nothing to loose .. except if an additional 20k page that nobody but the search engines will see is a big problem for them.

Even Peo could do it. To support his devoted FWS members :)

I will get it up and running if/when people here give me their links with short descriptions. This is more of a collective project.
If you don't want to post a link here send me a PM with it. And if I collect enough links (atleast 15-20) then i will do it and I will notify you.

But so far i don't see many people interested :( either people don't care about their rankings, or the don't know how importand backlings are to achive higher rankings.

I'll tell you the same thing I told LAH. I'll get back to you in a couple of weeks.

Originally posted by Phrozen
I'll tell you the same thing I told LAH. I'll get back to you in a couple of weeks.

Right ... you gonna have a site up with "content" by then :confused2

Actually, just create an account with like 2,000 free hosts and submit them all to search engines. You can do this, but it will take forever.

I'd hate to break everyone's party... but it's not that simple. :(

Oh, you want a reason why it's not that simple? Then keep reading... :)

The main search-engine to use 'link back' technology and the starter of this trend is the infamous Google. It's complex system weights websites on how many links they get from other websites and gives them a 'PageRank' worth between 1 and 10. Most websites average a three or so.

These PageRanks weight your page to turn up higher in results pages for set keywords. These are typically the most used ones on the page and ocassionaly also include the one's you've put in your meta tags.

Instant increases in your 'PageRank' score include a listing in DMOZ (Open Directory Project), it will give your site a bit of a 'boost' and of course if the AltaVista/AOL/Excite etc. co-branded DMOZ pages have your link it will also boost your 'PageRank'.

Another way to boost your 'PageRank' dramatically is to put the keywords in an appropriate domain. http://www.harry-potter.com/ will instantly get a higher ranking than http://topstuff.hosting.com/mystuff/harry-potter/ when searching for "Harry Potter". Although this can be changed and you can get higher results if you manage a very good 'PageRank'.

'PageRanks' mainly work by giving you points for quality pages that link to yours, that are relevant. If for example you are running that Harry Potter website, getting a link on a Harry Potter website of similar popularity, it is going to be better than on a popular FreeWebSpace site. This is because of relevance.

Quality on the other hand is a measure of the quality of the page... if the page has two links linking to it, in it's 'PageRank' and only one external link out it's going to have a much higher 'PageRank' than other websites (and be more worthwhile to get a link from). Where as a website with two links in and twenty external links will have a lower 'PageRank' and will typically be of no benefit to your website's 'PageRank'. If there is a website with two links in and two-hundred and fifty external links out, it will have a very low 'PageRank' and it will be of disadvantage to any websites it links to.

So yeah... sorry to break all the fun but your best bet is to affiliate with similar websites on your mainpage, something you should be doing already and the Search Engines should reward you for it. If you spam them, they'll try and dis-advantage you for it.

Simple huh? ;)

Copyright MMI, All Rights Reserved. Information sourced was from Google's website, interviews with Google staff over the 'PageRank' system and several promotion websites. Not all statements can be assured as Google has not officialy published their way of counting PageRank scores, although we've got a pretty good idea... I think. Any assumptions etc are of my own personal opinion and should be taken as such, not as an authority fiqure.

First, there are probably 100s of "tricks" on how to improve your rankings. Not one trick alone will give you a top 10 or 20 position. But most of them (like choosing the right domain, the right title, the right keywords, the right place for keywords, using doorway pages, IP cloaking etc etc) are things that you can do by yourself.
What you can't achive alone is to increase your backlink count.

And yes, If my site is about web-hosting, of course i would like to have all major web hosting firms like Verio linking to my site !!! That would be A LOT better. But obviusly i can't have that.
But links from smaller sites, even unrelated, DO count and they DO boost your page rank.

Quality on the other hand is a measure of the quality of the page... if the page has two links linking to it, in it's 'PageRank' and only one external link out it's going to have a much higher 'PageRank' than other websites (and be more worthwhile to get a link from). Where as a website with two links in and twenty external links will have a lower 'PageRank' and will typically be of no benefit to your website's 'PageRank'.

I found different information on this matter.
Quality is mesured based on backlinks and the pagerank of the pages that link to you. If a page with higher pagerank links to you it gives you more "points", if a page with lower pagerank links to it gives you few points(but it still gives you some), and has nothing to do with external links.
Also, not only external links will not decrease your rank in any case, but if those links are linking to related websites it will even give you a boost because your page will be considered us a hub by the search engines.

Can you provide me with links from the places that you got this information? (that external links decreace your pagerank)

Last edited:
Yeah, isn't it? ;)
I think a point is missed here. For most sites participating in something like this it wouldn't be a matter of getting among the top 10 but rather of getting in there at all. Then any links must be better than no links. Right? Wrong?

"get among the top 10" is something very relevant.
For example if you have a web hosting company , to get in the top 10 with the search query "web hosting" is something REALLY hard. But if your webhosting company is based say in Miami and its a windows host, then maybe you can get in the top 10 for the query "Windows web host in Miami".

Backlinks is ONE of the main things you have to achieve if you want that to happen.

Proof? Proof? The people need the proof... ;)

Okay, first-off no one outside Google truly knows the workings for the PageRanking system. This is the main reason most websites contradict one another, no one can truly know.

If you trust the commercial websites which offer to give you 50,000+ links for $XX.XX you'll most likley believe this will help your website's PageRank. This has been proven incorrect by several parties as it is believed these FFA link pages are 'banned' or 'blacklisted'. Although, again no body can be sure.

The same applies to submission, the commercial websites will typically say that submitting directly to Google will return the best results, while others say that getting spidered is the best way in. This argument has been strengthened when a Google representative also supported this claim.

The bad quality website link theory, is also one of these things the commercial websites won't talk about. It is believed by some that bad links are just that, bad for your website. Although no proof is yet released for either argument. Normally statements are just personal results:

This means sites that link to yours should be relevant and not in any way off-color. An adult site linking to a children's book site is considered inappropriate and harms both parties -- mostly the adult site.
Source: http://www.workz.com/content/2094.asp

In the USA, 70 mph is the legal limit on the highway, but many people get away with driving 85 mph every day. Unfortunately, most of the people who do drive at 85 miles per hour eventually get caught. And when it comes to Link Popularity Farms - the same concept applies.

Again, the search engines do not like web sites that try to to artificially inflate their link popularity by joining link exchange programs, and if you are caught you can expect to pay the consequences.
Source: http://spider-food.net/link-popularity-b.html

I reccomend any one intrested in more information about PageRank read over the Google Pages, http://www.goodlookingcooking.co.uk/PageRank.pdf and look at a few other promotional websites.

I have already read the spider-food website and the goodlookingcooking .pdf

In non of those pages or anywhere else I found that a "bad" page linking to your page can harm your page ranking in any way. In the worst "special" case that that site is so bad that has a pagerank of 0 it will simply offer nothing. But most sites, even the smaller ones have a page rank of atlest 1, wich means they can only help (even at a small degree) but can never harm.

Now using known spam "popularity farms" its another story. And thats why i started this thread. Otherwise I would have simply go and join one of those sites.

As you said nobody knows the exact way PageRank is calculated. But according to most, some more links to your site from other sites can only help and never harm.

If you have already visited spider-food you'll notice that it warns you of the dangers about link farms:

Again, the search engines do not like web sites that try to to artificially inflate their link popularity by joining link exchange programs, and if you are caught you can expect to pay the consequences.

They can 'ban' or 'blacklist' your website, which is sure to have a negative effect.

The main reason I'm telling you this is because you could be spending the time you are dedicating to this little link exchange to affiliate linking with similar websites. This has been shown time and time again to be beneficial to both parties, I'd reccomend you spend your time working away at that instead.

What search engines like is one thing. What you can do is another thing. Obviusly they don't like such kind of things, and they can get the major ones and blacklist them. But today the web has billions of pages, its imposible to find small agreemends on link exchange like the one i sugested.
If you read the .pdf file that you wrote above, even if you asume that all sites in here are small with a pagerank of only 1 or 2, then everybody will benefit from such thing. (and they will benefit even more if you add the feedback effect that he describes there)

Further more, I am not deticating any time for this. If people give me enough links then I will just create the page within 5 minutes.

Back