• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Can't decide - which Linux distro?

XFH-Jay

I'm looking at some servers here and they offer Red Hat, Fedora, Ubuntu, Gentoo, CentOS 4 & 5, OpenSuse, :confused4

Which one should I go with? I'd suppose they're all pretty much the same when it comes to hosting?

I seem to favour CentOS 4. Always does what i need it to, never had any problems with it.

We will have 2 CentOS 5 online in next week. The current servers are running CentOS 4.x without any trouble. My advice: choose the one you're familiar with

CentOS5 is good when you're gonna run a panel like cpanel that doesn't work on Debian bases. Other than that, I use Debian 4.0 (Etch) all the way. I don't really like Ubuntu server as much..it's more bloated than pure Debian. Get Gentoo if you need something completely optimized and customized all the way (read that as needing a masters in linux terminology). I view Fedora as the Desktop version of CentOS as Ubuntu is the desktop version of Debian, so I would really use CentOS over Fedora. You can use Red Hat for ultra robustness..but they'll probably charge you extras. I'd use CentOS or Debian. (Yes I know that was long, sorry about all that).

Certainly is, everytime I thought I was going to get some time to set one up to play with something else interupted, ah well one of these days.

Back