• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Can this dedi make VPS machines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Centrio-Matthew

I have a Athlon XP x2 768mb ram 80 GB HDD SATA and 3,500 GB Bandwidth 100MPBS server, can this run OpenVZ and make VPS servers?

Is it sufficient?

For what use? Anything more than a website with a few thousands hits and a control panel - with heavy use of images or video, no.
How many VPS'? Possibly 2, the problem is your RAM. Again, falls under the current usage of the website/control panel.
Personal use? If it's anything for resale, defiantly not. Please don't even think about it.
Do you care about your data? No RAID support.

tl;dr: Yes, but not for resale, big websites or important files. No more than 2 VPS' and that's stretching it IMO.

and the simplest form of RAID.

well that rly depends on your terms of service and if you want high hdd space to offer or protected hdd space, alot of ppl would pay a cheaper price for more hdd knowing it was less protected.

That server would not be good for any sort of VPS usage.
Hardware Raid is great for any server. Software Raid not so good.

768mb ram isnt enought to be use for if you plan to host multiple vps. It's great that you found a suitable server for this already.

There are not many resources on this machine to virtualize. Of course you can create a few virtual private servers, but they will not be powerful enough and will not worth the money. It is much better for you to sell this one as dedicated server.

Ask yoursef how many vps you are planning to have on the server and how much RAM will each of them get.
Anyway you should have tested the server by this time,
can you update on your experience?

Of course you can. But you need to be smart and calculate and take into the account all issues you might have. That is indeed important, because control panel and visualization software will eat up some of your server sources for sure

Hi!
To learn on..it's certainly good enough for one or two small vps's. I should point out openvz is very powerful. However..the propnlem with openvz vz virtuozzo is a critical one: It does not have management tools needed to manage a node properly in production.

If you can bring something else in..fine. If you can't..the nodes will have stability problems.

In theory..the vps's are independent. The truth is anything but. It is a fact one vps can overload the entire node. I know..I've seen it first hand. Still..I love openvz.

Bryon

i say it will be enough for host 4 OpenVZ VPS for low end VPS.
some ppl is looking for cheap and low end VPS to run nginx, for some simple website for school projects.

and 128mb ram is already good enough for run ngix, mysql(tweaked), php fast-cgi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back