• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Can Microsoft handle Feb 3rd, 2004???

Webdude

NLC
http://grc.com/default.htm

The latest prolific eMail virus, MyDoom, being called the fastest spreading eMail virus in history, infects an estimated 500,000 PC's worldwide, and has been clogging inboxes and raising havoc across the Internet. Until February 12th, every infected computer will be joining in a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack upon the web site of SCO at www.sco.com, which is expected to be unavailable throughout this attack.

UPDATE
SCO has "done the right thing" (not that they really had any choice) by removing their "www.sco.com" domain from the Internet. It has been withdrawn from the Internet's domain name system (DNS) so that the hundreds of thousands of infected machines will no longer be able to determine the IP address of SCO in order to target their bandwidth connection attack.

THE MICROSOFT ATTACK
The next interesting thing to happen will begin Tuesday, February 3rd, when the second variety of MyDoom virus begins attacking "www.microsoft.com". The relative strength of this second attack is not clear, so it will be interesting to see how Microsoft's web site fares.

exactly what i thought :D

have you guys seen those IBM commercials promoting linux? at the end, when the revealed the text reading ''Linux'' and "The future is open" i literrally cheered like my team won the superbowl, which, mind you, it did (go Patriots!)

Yeah, I saw that too. The Youth leader was like "That's totally aimed at the wrong audience here isn't it? Anyone know what lineux is?"
Bah.

Oh man, why can't they put it off for a day until my birthday?
That'd be one hell of a present.

SCO is sueing IBM claiming that IBM alledgedly put in coprighted code devoloped by SCO into their version of linux,basically

Originally posted by sharkbyte
SCO is sueing IBM claiming that IBM alledgedly put in coprighted code devoloped by SCO into their version of linux,basically
could IBM do that?

Further analysis indicates that there may be some good news for Microsoft, Kuo said. A programming error in the virus may mean that, starting Tuesday, only 7 percent of PC infected with the B variant will actually attack Microsoft at the same time.

"We think that...7 percent won't be that large a number," Kuo said.

Damnit - SCO hit financial trouble so decide to sue the world for using Linux - and IBM simper, opening the legal doors to everyone else. Had SCO bothered whilst in a good position I would have had some sympathy for them - but then again this virus wouldn't (probably) have been written.

QED - SCO is to blame for DOOM worm :smash: :readthis:

Funny bit is MS now use linux based gateways for their web servers - probably why they're a target too :p

Originally posted by Decker
Funny bit is MS now use linux based gateways for their web servers - probably why they're a target too :p
They're Akamai's servers, not Microsoft's. :p

All those Microsoft system techs are probably still wiping the worry sweat off their brows right now. Lucky they didnt get a full blow like SCO did. Too bad...maybe next time around :p

Originally posted by Webdude
All those Microsoft system techs are probably still wiping the worry sweat off their brows right now. Lucky they didnt get a full blow like SCO did. Too bad...maybe next time around :p
I feel the attack on SCO was much more justified.
I have no remorse and in fact wish it had caused more significant damage.
Those pricks need to learn.

Originally posted by sharkbyte

Actually, SCO is suing IBM for putting IBM's code into Linux. SCO claims to control the distribution of anything done by IBM for AIX (IBM's version of UNIX) as a "derivative work". The suit is about contract violation, all the IP and copyright stuff is a red herring to keep people from focusing on the real weaknesses in SCO's case, and so far, it's working.

Most miss it and like Linux, UNIX has flavours too the bit that's missed is that SCO are in trouble and need cash so they're trying the old lets sue everybody (or at least make them think it).

Still either IBM or MS could just have bought them and that would be an end to it - but SCO UNIX ain't worth the price, whatever they claim.

Used to be a good 'brand' but they're being phased out towards open source Linux/FreeBSD (why Redhat's going commercial - there's a big market for the facilities it can offer, especially since it handles clustering).

Best they take the best bid and run I'd think personally as they're in for a hard time if they win any ground - who's gonna subscribe to that again :crying5:

SCO at the moment almost has more money than microsoft, I know sco is evil but what if they become more mainstream therefore causing unix to be mainstream and eventually linux too. I am serious, SCO may be the devil, but MS needs to go down, I am accually not to hateful of longhorn though its pretty nice, I would just like to see what the world could do with *nix main stream, Imaging how far development could go.

Originally posted by Excelex.net
SCO at the moment almost has more money than microsoft, I know sco is evil but what if they become more mainstream therefore causing unix to be mainstream and eventually linux too. I am serious, SCO may be the devil, but MS needs to go down, I am accually not to hateful of longhorn though its pretty nice, I would just like to see what the world could do with *nix main stream, Imaging how far development could go.

SCO Does Not have more money than Microsoft. SCO has like 10 Million in the bank. This is why they are sueing everyone, they don't have cash at all.

Back