• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

can any1 tell me an adfree host for phpbb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's impossible to get ad free PHP + MySQL on a free host! It would be like standing out on the streets and giving $5 to everyone that passed by.

Either put up with the ads or do without. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by doofynz
what with people and phpbb

if yah forum won't be popular use something else

Hit the nail right on the head... someone sticky this quote. :biggrin2:

If all you want is a free host for a PHPBB or an IPB or whatever PHP/MySQL forum which isn't busy and will receive no potential members, simply start off with a remotely hosted forum at ezBoard - you're making it hard by trying to find a PHP/MySQL host for a forum. Most are unreliable and many free hosts do not like the uses of forums, because they are a resource hog.

Sheesh hostkiller, you complained about a tiny "hosted by" promotion on your leoboard, please don't expect someone to host a phpBB without an ad. If you are really so against ads, go with one of the cheapo $12 a year hosts that you will find in the web hosting offers forum. I am NOT recommending them at all, because they could also die as quick as free hosts, but if you are desperate, go for it! :devious2:

Originally posted by rpgsmo
No it's not.
And the lycos mysql sucks.

Why does it suck? There's even a PHPMyAdmin I believe so that you can backup your database. It's free and an advert helps support the host. Yes... it might be slow at times, but if you're tight, then you're going to have to live with it.

It, always backs up.
After about a month or 2, all you will get is a bunch of errors 19/20 of the time.

Well, Lycos does suck, but that doesn't give you a right to complain. You're a beggar, and beggars can't be choosers. :rolleyes:

KBC, I personally don't like the host because it's very buggy, it's slow beyond an "acceptable" level, and it blocks Asian-Pacific users from using FTP (although they say that they want to limit Tripod Europe to European users, they have only taken action against Asian users, which is suspicious...). :confused2

Originally posted by conkermaniac
KBC, I personally don't like the host because it's very buggy, it's slow beyond an "acceptable" level, and it blocks Asian-Pacific users from using FTP (although they say that they want to limit Tripod Europe to European users, they have only taken action against Asian users, which is suspicious...). :confused2

Yup, I agree, it is pretty slow... I used it once but gave up with it, because it was just so slow, my website was never accessible. The Asian part - perhaps people are just stereotyping...

Originally posted by KBC
Yup, I agree, it is pretty slow... I used it once but gave up with it, because it was just so slow, my website was never accessible. The Asian part - perhaps people are just stereotyping...
Lycos might suck but its the best one people will find to host a forum

Well, Lycos does suck, but that doesn't give you a right to complain. You're a beggar, and beggars can't be choosers. :rolleyes:
:eek:
I'm not complaining,
I'm just giving advice on a personal experience.

Lycos is a very good place to host a forum!

It is reliable, although they are slow and have downtime every now and then, but they wont suddenly go away like some of the other free webspace providers..

It got no ads on php pages, and like others said it got phpMyAdmin. FTP is fast. What surprises me is that it CAN go fast sometimes, faster than some other forums I visit.

And besides, I have a small forum of only 8 members (might get more in the future) so I don't really need super 20gig traffic 100 mb storage :p

lycos has banner

Originally posted by Weirds
What's the problem with lycos.co.uk?
it is adfree.
:eek: But, as I know, Lycos free hosting has banner at every
pages top. banner shows one time and dissapear.

THE PERFECT HOST EVERYONE WANTS

http://www.70megs.com
NO ADS
PHP/MYSQL
FTP
70 MEGABYTES
UNLIMITED TRANSFER
FASSST SERVERS

only thing is please be patient and wait 1-3 hours after signing up before you receive your login info by e-mail, we have to manually set these accounts up since they offer soooo many features. Thanks tell everyone!!!

Re: lycos has banner

Originally posted by NONO
:eek: But, as I know, Lycos free hosting has banner at every
pages top. banner shows one time and dissapear.

It doesn't have ads if you use PHP in subdirectorys (only at pages in the root directory have ads)

You are definitely wrong, he is not a beggar - he uses the service for which Lycos receives money from the advertisers. And advertisers are interested in every person with phphBB or not who will use this free hosting, because it's the direct way to pull coins out of their pockets, since using some of the free services (which are by the way supposed to be well and not that sucks, as advertisers do not buy rubbish for their money) - any free member will definitely pay much attention to the banners of advertisers and that means more money for the advertisement and free hosting. So he is not a beggar - he is a potential customer, that's it - if you can see what i meant.:confused2

Originally posted by ACherki
You are definitely wrong, he is not a beggar - he uses the service for which Lycos receives money from the advertisers. And advertisers are interested in every person with phphBB or not who will use this free hosting, because it's the direct way to pull coins out of their pockets, since using some of the free services (which are by the way supposed to be well and not that sucks, as advertisers do not buy rubbish for their money) - any free member will definitely pay much attention to the banners of advertisers and that means more money for the advertisement and free hosting. So he is not a beggar - he is a potential customer, that's it - if you can see what i meant.:confused2

I'm just saying that he's a beggar because he can't afford paid hosting. It's just like an average peasant (with average intelligence) asking to go to an expensive university with high academic expectations. The government won't pay for that - otherwise everyone would be going to Harvard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back