• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Cable overhaul

sEp said:
Yes, but what's commercially known as adsl2+ in Australia which is 24000kb(24mbit) is cheaper or around the same price as 256kb. :\
True, but its only avaliable in the major of major towns of Australia. I can think of around 2, Melbourne and Sydney. Any more?

Another reason some people perfer cable to dialup is they can connect more than one computer and use the phone ant the same time. With a wireless router its possible to have the to kids in their bedroom, and dad in the office all online at faster speeds than dialup. And mom could be on the phone and using a laptop to discuss ebay items with her friend.

Galaxy-Hosts.com said:
Another reason some people perfer cable to dialup is they can connect more than one computer and use the phone ant the same time. With a wireless router its possible to have the to kids in their bedroom, and dad in the office all online at faster speeds than dialup. And mom could be on the phone and using a laptop to discuss ebay items with her friend.

The perfect geek family. How I love new technology. :)

It really all depends on where you live. Hardly anyone uses cable in Japan--that's because ADSL is $7 a month for the speeds we get here, and a mere $30 for 100mbit best-effort fiber. In Korea, wireless and VDSL are like water. Here, cable is the best route for you depending on the provider and what you consider the better Internet experience.

i get 100mbps on my cabel. and man, that is nice. i can download a movie in about 30min if the source is fast too. :D

jstgermain said:
i get 100mbps on my cabel.
shensign.gif

What provider?

hottweelz said:
Probably OptonLine MetroEthernet?
Not in Phoenix. :p

Survey says... Cox. I'm quite certain they don't offer anything near that speed though.

Yeah well, if you're really desperate and have a whole lot of money, T1 is the way! It's a perminant connection, and if you would every try to take it out, you'll have to smash down a few walls along with it!

No, but seriously now, Dial-Up is fun, especially when you want to annoy your cable using friends (like I do all the time) in sending them a file over an instant messaging program with dial-up speed! :eek:

But now, my father has SBC Dail-Up, and it goes a heck of a lot smoother than any normal dial-up through like the UW or merr.com. However, whenever you logout of your SBC Yahoo! Mail, close the Yahoo! Browser, or stuff like that, your connection automatically terminates. That's why I use the Dial-Up file located in the Dial-Up Netoworking folder. It's annoying when it gives you a messaging asking "Do you wish to terminate SBC Yahoo (City Name)?" I keep clicking no on that message after I logout of MSNM, go onto MSNM, go onto IE or close IE.

SBC Yahoo! is starting to get on my nerves, and they have their own browser on top of all that! Just like AOL! :eek:

BTW: 900th Post! 100 more to go to 1,000!

T1 is what the UW has at the campus, it goes over 500 kb/sec (For real, and it never goes any slower, usually goes faster.)

At East High School here, we also have T1, but it goes about from 120 ~ 200 kb/sec... never slower unless too many people are on at once. (Never goes below 50 kb/s)

iyeru42 said:
T1 is what the UW has at the campus, it goes over 500 kb/sec
No it doesn't.

A T1 is 1.5mbit (192 kB/s), which is only half the the speed of my DSL's downstream.

The only difference is that a T1 is a dedicated symetric line with guaranteed speed.

Back