• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Bush: I want to be the peace President

Status
Not open for further replies.

trenzterra

NLC
Feb: I am the war President
Now: I want to be the peace President

Probably to get people to vote for him, I guess.

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/world/story/0,4386,262760-1090533540,00.html?

Bush recasts himself as reluctant warrior
CEDAR RAPIDS (Iowa) - After launching two wars, President George W. Bush now says he wants to be a 'peace president'.

image removed, don't want to hotlink
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-2]In February: 'I am a war president' -- AFP[/size][/font]
With polls showing public support for the war in Iraq in decline, Mr Bush on Tuesday cast himself as a reluctant warrior and assured Americans they were 'safer' as he campaigned in the battleground states of Iowa and Missouri against Democrat John Kerry and his running mate, former trial lawyer John Edwards.

'The enemy declared war on us,' he told a re-election rally in Cedar Rapids. 'Nobody wants to be the war president. I want to be the peace president...The next four years will be peaceful years.'

He used the words 'peace' or 'peaceful' a total of 20 times.

Mr Bush had called himself a 'war president' in leading the United States in a battle against terrorism brought about by the Sept 11, 2001, attacks on America.

'I'm a war president. I make decisions here in the Oval Office in foreign policy matters with war on my mind,' he said in February.

Despite a surge in attacks in Iraq and US warnings that Al-Qaeda is plotting another major strike, Mr Bush insisted on Tuesday that US-led wars in Afghanistan and Iraq had already made America safer, and that his re-election would let him finish the job.

Ahead of the release of a report detailing the breakdown in intelligence and security before the Sept 11 attacks, he said: 'We reorganised this government of ours to better protect the people.

'For a while, we were marching to war. Now we're marching to peace...America is a safer place. Four more years and America will be safer and the world will be more peaceful.'

Mr Bush and Mr Kerry are fighting hard in Iowa, which Mr Bush lost to Democrat Al Gore in 2000 by just 4,144 votes.

image removed, don't want to hotlink
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-2]This month: 'I want to be a peace president' -- AFP[/size][/font]
Recent polls give Mr Kerry a narrow lead, but a Kerry aide said the Iowa and Missouri races remain dead heats.

Mr Bush won Missouri by 3 percentage points in 2000, and acknowledged in St Charles that it would be a tough race this year.

At both rallies, he cast Mr Kerry and Mr Edwards as on the side of trial lawyers, who the President portrays as responsible for a flood of personal injury litigation that burdens the courts and is costly to small business. Mr Edwards made his fortune as a trial lawyer.

Democrats get campaign contributions from this group, while many businesses tend to favour the Republicans.

'I'm not a lawyer, you'll be happy to hear,' Mr Bush said to cheers. 'That's the other team. This is the pro-small business team.'

The two-state swing was part of a weeklong offensive by Mr Bush before the Democratic National Convention in Boston starting on Monday.p> Tuesday was also the first time that Mr Bush's daughters, Jenna and Barbara, appeared together on the campaign trail with their father.

They stayed in Missouri after their father returned to Washington. Campaign aides said they would attend private events for supporters in Missouri, Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Tomorrow, the sisters are to participate in an online chat at the campaign's website, www.georgewbush.com. -- Reuters, LosAngeles Times

Bush is an idiot. Talk about flip flopping.. Now that America disapproves of the War, he wants to turn intoa Peace President. Please. Nuff.

I'm really starting to dislike Bush now.
America is becoming a bad place to live... -_-

GregT said:
who's forcing you to stay?

i hate it when people talk about how shitty america is, and then................ do nothing.

like all those celebrities who said they'd take off if Bush was elected, but did they act on it? oops! not to my knowledge.

i was a huge johnny depp fan till he presented himself as a liberal wackjob, but I actually still have respect for the guy because not only did he flap his gums about leaving, he actually did it. i mean it's childish as hell but at least he didn't lie to us or chicken out. that and the fact he's not throwing it in our faces on t.v. everyday with the likes of alec baldwin, kim basinger, ed asner, rosie o'donnell, rob reiner, whoopi goldberg, martin sheen, susan sarandon, robert altman, barbra streisand, etc, etc...

Last edited:
Well, I don't like what Bush is doing but he's a politician, do you really expect him to be truthful and straight forward?

keith said:
i hate it when people talk about how shitty america is, and then................ do nothing.

Umm...did it occur to you that the complaining/dissent itself is 'doing something'? Not everybody can or will be political activists. At least the people who talk about the things they hate about America talk. Would you rather those people shut up? Wouldn't it be worse if there were problems with the country and no one said anything about it?

I'm all for people taking action on their opinions (long as it doesn't actually hurt people or break laws) - for example I don't drink Coke products because of the things I've read about their plants' actions worldwide; but if someone isn't going to 'do' anything anyway, I would rather they at least talk. Silence is the worst thing for citizens to do when there's a problem.

~Nicki

ps- nothing's forcing people to stay in any political/legal way. Maybe some would leave if they could afford it. But what do you want, all the liberals to secede or something? This is all of America's country, all of America has the right to be here and be heard/represented. It is possible to love the country (therefore want to stay) but not agree with all aspects of the country (therefore want things to change).

GregT said:
I would never say America is a bad place to live. We're very lucky to have what we have. We're very lucky to be able to express our thoughts without consquences. I'm proud of this country, of the men and women who have fought for the freedom of this country, I'm proud for our Founding Fathers for taking the step and fighting for what they believe is right and for starting a country as beautiful and as great as America.

Robert said:
I would never say America is a bad place to live. We're very lucky to have what we have. We're very lucky to be able to express our thoughts without consquences. I'm proud of this country, of the men and women who have fought for the freedom of this country, I'm proud for our Founding Fathers for taking the step and fighting for what they believe is right and for starting a country as beautiful and as great as America.
I don't live in America, but I too wouldn't consider it to be a bad place to live.

However, I do have to disagree with you Robert.

Not everyone is able to express their thoughts without consequences, especially in this "Post 9/11" era, however the same thing goes for all countries more or less.

jmiller said:
I don't live in America, but I too wouldn't consider it to be a bad place to live.

However, I do have to disagree with you Robert.

Not everyone is able to express their thoughts without consequences, especially in this "Post 9/11" era, however the same thing goes for all countries more or less.
I was referring to the Right of Free Speech Amendment.

Robert said:
I was referring to the Right of Free Speech Amendment.
Yeah, I assumed that much.

There seems to be no stopping of government officials from revoking that right though.

I dont think America is a terrible place to live, infact the quality of life in america is very high, as long as your well off. The problem is more the immorality and ignorance between what the government is doing and what the people think they are doing. It is the same here in Canada and probably all over the world (sponsorship scandal) except where in canada its money blown, in america its people dying. America is the largest super power in the world, and therefore their actions are far greater felt.

spec said:
I dont think America is a terrible place to live, infact the quality of life in america is very high, as long as your well off. The problem is more the immorality and ignorance between what the government is doing and what the people think they are doing. It is the same here in Canada and probably all over the world (sponsorship scandal) except where in canada its money blown, in america its people dying. America is the largest super power in the world, and therefore their actions are far greater felt.
I'd much rather have my government blow taxpayers dollars on personal expenses than kill the innocent. :confused4

Though I am still waiting to see the outcome of the Sponsortship Scandal and can only hope that Paul Martin is soon out of power.

jmiller said:
Yeah, I assumed that much.

There seems to be no stopping of government officials from revoking that right though.
No Government official can remove that right. It's hand written into our Constitution. The Patriot Act is a way to exploit our privacy.

jmiller said:
I'd much rather have my government blow taxpayers dollars on personal expenses than kill the innocent. :confused4

Though I am still waiting to see the outcome of the Sponsortship Scandal and can only hope that Paul Martin is soon out of power.

HAH good luck, people prefer scumbags to the unknown. The people get the government they deserve.

spec said:
HAH good luck, people prefer scumbags to the unknown. The people get the government they deserve.
Uhh, I don't see how we deserved Paul Martin.

How about explaining that one.

spec said:
But if you're kidnapped in Iraq, there's no one to save you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back