• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Bot rules

Tyler

NLC
Why are there no rules against obvious advertisement bots like this one.

Has anyone even bothered checking his post history?

Peo, although I understand even spambots help keep the forum active they do not contribute to it in the least other then increasing the total post count once a week.

Why not implement a way to combat this? Off the top of my head, I would enable recaptcha for ANY post in the free/paid offers section regardless on if it's being posted by a registered member or a guest. Better yet, why not force every new thread in that section to be moderated rather then being approved automatically?

Just a thought.

I agree to enable recaptcha at those offers section when members is opening a new thread.
I also spotted some of them only posting offers every 7 days and never even respond to any questions which is directed to them.

Moderating new threads would just cause major backlog. Just report the posts/threads. Even if UnlimitedMB is a bot or not, they are still breaking the rules - copy and pasting offers repeatedly isn't allowed.

Moderating new threads would just cause major backlog. Just report the posts/threads. Even if UnlimitedMB is a bot or not, they are still breaking the rules - copy and pasting offers repeatedly isn't allowed.

If implement a recaptcha for posting new offer in those offer sections, it will not be a problem anyway.
The only thing different is just the poster have to type in the recaptcha code which is generated in order to continue posting their offers, and it does not involve moderators anyway.

copy and pasting offers repeatedly isn't allowed.

Apparently it is. I brought this up a while back when Zomex would copy and paste the same ad each and every week. In the rules for webhosts #7, it indicates "no copy and paste offers". I pointed that out in this post. Then a few posts down, Peo chimed in here and said that what he was doing was okay and that it doesn't apply to "ad threads".

I don't think the rules are for when you are placing the hosting offer in the "Paid/free hosting offer" sections, but only when they reply to someone's request. Regardless, I do not recall the last time Unlim replied to anyone, if ever. I am quite certain I had made a regular post on the ads he forced on the website tripping off both my anti-virus and malware alerts and he never replied.

I don't really think it would cause backlog. If we need section specific moderators because Peo/Jan are swamped, I also don't see a problem with that.

I don't really think it would cause backlog. If we need section specific moderators because Peo/Jan are swamped, I also don't see a problem with that.

In addition to that, they already moderate all new member posts until they reach a post count of 10 anyway.

In addition to that, they already moderate all new member posts until they reach a post count of 10 anyway.

That isn't quite correct. It is x amount of posts and x amount of days. Not sure where you came up with the 10.

That isn't quite correct. It is x amount of posts and x amount of days. Not sure where you came up with the 10.

Isn't new members, have their first 10 post to be moderated, before they are able to freely posting in this forum?

Back