• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Boot Disk Failure, Can't boot to windows XP :(

XeonGX

Hello all,
I was using partition magic to create a partition out of the unallocated space I had (20GB), so I created E:/, then i noticed that I have:
C:/ Logical
D:/ Primary
E:/ Logical

for some reason I converted the D:/ to logical, then I restarted the computer, now I can't boot. I get Boot Disk Failure.

need urgent help :(

right now I think deleted C and D, and I only have the partition E which contains a lot of important files, so I think that I have to create a C partition that is Primary so I can install Windows XP on it again. I tried installing Windows XP on the E partition but I got a message saying it isn't Windows XP-compatible since its logical. I think there might be a way to create C primary partition using the ubuntu CD.

EDIT: I have ubuntu that I can boot from CD, I also tried installing windows XP again, I couldnt install it, I think its because I need a Primary partition :(

Last edited:
Well from the looks of it, it looks like you did a simple mistake and selected the D: drive to be the primary boot disk. In most cases the d: drive is the cd rom drive unless you have install extra hard drives and or added a cd burning ect. some times things get changed around....
Have you tried booting the computer up and pressing to F2 or whatever it is for your computer to go into the settings Bios settings and change it to boot from c: drive, if that dont work still keep the setting to boot c:/ and the try to reinstall.
I really dont know what happened so thats a wild shot in the dark but it might do it

All I have right now is drive named E:/ (150GB) Logical
and its the one with my important stuff in it.
When I tried to re-install windows XP on my pc I deleted C and D using FDISK and tried to create a new C:/ and install windows in it, I couldn't. Apparently the C:/ has to be Primary.
I think that I need to download somekind of free rescue boot CD that has a Bootable version of a partition editor that allows Logical to Primary conversion.

Do you have or can you make the Partition Magic boot floppies?

If you can move the remaining partition to the end of the disk and create a new primary partition from the start to where the existing one begins, make it bootable and format it to NTFS, then start XP setup :)

Or you can look up something called: The Ultimate Boot cd. use the partition tools in the cd to find your XP drive and set it as primary again. :)

All I have right now is drive named E:/ (150GB) Logical
and its the one with my important stuff in it.
When I tried to re-install windows XP on my pc I deleted C and D using FDISK and tried to create a new C:/ and install windows in it, I couldn't. Apparently the C:/ has to be Primary.
I think that I need to download somekind of free rescue boot CD that has a Bootable version of a partition editor that allows Logical to Primary conversion.

Look for some kind of linux LiveCD like Slax. Hit Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to dump you to the terminal (or just open up a terminal app) and most will have included CFDISK. just type cfdisk /dev/hda or cfdisk /dev/sda and you'll be able to create a primary partition in the unused space. With slax I believe you must append sudo to the command, ex. sudo cfdisk /dev/hda

I always liked the joke that fdisk = ---- your disk and cfdisk = cluster---- your disk

Last edited:
Back