• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

best laptop for 2 grand?

jason

she has 4 grand to blow on a laptop (tho she'd rather spend only 2 grand if she can get away with it) and since i don't know so much about them i thought i'd see what you guys have to say, what is the best laptop for 2-4 grand? keep in mind she'll be using it mostly for video games and the net. i know PC's are better for games but she has no place to keep a PC i guess, so she wants a laptop.

Well, there is a broad range of laptops that will do gaming. Now the next questions are:

1) Does she want a decent battery life?

2) Will it be used for travelling?

3) Is that in Canadian?

i'll say one with a GeForce FX Go graphics card or ati radeon mobility card.

and one that uses intel centrino, probably dell. stay away from acer though.

Alienware laptops really aren't worth it once converted to canadian funds.
Also, I don't see any reason to have that much machine in a laptop.

I just bought an iBook, and it's all I need in a laptop.

Sager (Alienware) notebooks aren't really worth anything, except for possibly a desktop replacement. They use desktop components and the battery life on them is ridiculous. You won't even get an hour with them.

I'd look at either a PowerBook or an Intel Centrino-based notebook if you don't want a Mac.

Originally posted by Bruce
Sager (Alienware) notebooks aren't really worth anything, except for possibly a desktop replacement. They use desktop components and the battery life on them is ridiculous. You won't even get an hour with them.

I'd look at either a PowerBook or an Intel Centrino-based notebook if you don't want a Mac.
Yeah, I have an iBook, and it gets close to 6 hours battery life, so I assume the PowerBooks get even more time. :)

I fail to see the point in AlienWare laptops, they are a complete waste of money.

hehe, isn't that laptop $3,700 USD? That's like $5000 canadian.... I suggest she just goes to a dealer like computer depot (not futureshop or staples) and ask around. I've had good experiences with computer depot (went in and showed them prices from some canadian websites and they lowered the price on a PC for me)

my alienware gets a good 4 hours playing cs. i got a dell catalogue a week ago and they have a nice deal on their insipron 8600, like 3.0ghz centrino and 120gb raid 0 hd for 2800

Originally posted by 7trax
my alienware gets a good 4 hours playing cs. /B]

If you bought an Alienware computer for Counter-strike only...wow...

And I've never seen 120GB raid-0 stripping array in a laptop in my life.

i bought the alienware not for counter strike only, but for half life and all its expansions

And I've never seen 120GB raid-0 stripping array in a laptop in my life.

thats too bad

Originally posted by 7trax
i bought the alienware not for counter strike only, but for half life and all its expansions

My 1ghz AMD Duron with a GeForce2MX 200 runs CS and HL + expansions at 100fps constant. The system cost me $100. :rolleyes:

Back