• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Best Free Forum Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
MyBB is the best among the free ones. It's very easy to use compared to the pathetic ones like phpBB which I spent a whole day just for configuring settings...

MyBB has a large mods base too, although I can't guarantee you will be able to get the variety phpBB has.

Mybb rocks there support forum is hit and miss you will get some help but most of the time they are clueless

I would go for SMF.MyBB looks like a little vB 3.8.x clone but phpBB is not in my top 2 since it is kinda complicated for me always

If you're looking for a frames based layout, something like Delphi Forums, then I'd recommend Matt Beale's Beehive Forum Software.
The developer's forum is here > http://www.tehforum.co.uk/forum/.
You can download the software here > http://sourceforge.net/projects/beehiveforum/files/
You can find a list of sites using Beehive here > http://beehiveforum.sourceforge.net/forums.php

If you're looking for something like what this site runs, then I'd say phpbb.

We use Beehive on two of our sites and phpbb on another.

yes you know what phpbb what really crap half year ago, but then they have launched the last version I could say respect to Russians :) they done great job. In our paid web hosting we do use vbulletin but it's like jungles, so I gave up with it and gave to my webmaster to do all the stuff, cause it's to complicated with redirects, seo stuff and blah blah blah :) I I would agree with vWiz that is is really good :)

I have seen that guys are shouting for MyBB. OK guys you know what I think it is not so good as you say so :) and you know why??? Because I haven't tried it :) (joking don't get too serious ok?)

Kind Regards,
Too much of champagne (hope super duper moderator will not ban my post, hope soooooo...well anyway I think that there is no reason to ban my opinion isn't it? I mean that I am very sensitive with forums :)
So that was my name :) ( too short??)

to be honest, any forum script is good, as long as u like it and it does not have security vulnerabilities
:)

SMF is the best its fast and easy to skin there are also lots of mods and free themes in their mod site

Awesome review. Thanks for the share.

Jordan.

For free forums there are three biggies(I have tried out all of these in the past few months . I've included my personal experience with them in here):

1. PhpBB:
-very large user base and lots of developers , theme arists , etc.
-very large database of modifications , themes , developer resources , etc.
-Good with security , stability and usability(I have seem some really really massive forums too use it)
-Arguably Most popular of the three
-The newest version(3.06) has really improved a lot and it works beyond my expectations . Now runs with quick reply , and multiple captcha(including reCaptcha) systems , universal user reporting database system , etc. and lots more right out of the box . I currently use this and am highly satisfied .
-Modification installation is to be done manually using ftp and editing of files might be required for certain modifications(unless you are using their automod installer that is also available on their website)

2. SMF
-large user base with many modifications and themes available .
-Lays very high significance on security .
-Large forums like Prize live too use it without many hick ups , so stability is never an issue .
-Oldest of the 3 forums in this list afaik
-mod installation is as simple as browse and install

3. MyBB
-has an uncanny familiarity with vBulletin , some people used to call it the free version of vBulletin
-newest of the 3 listed here .
-mod installation is really very simple .
-the forum is really very light and loads fairly very quickly .
-Lots of hooks and easy to develop(Lots of hooks can sometimes cause security risks if not handled properly)
-Gaining popularity really quickly.
-if you are good with php , this forum provides you all the things you need to customize it to your hearts pleasure . But remember , each customization if not done properly can leave the door open for hackers , so you must be careful with modifications .

There are many-many other free forum systems , but the three above are arguably the most notable of them .

Best Regards,
Aloycasmir

I'm loving MyBB 1.6. It has added everything that I would want by default and more. Plus, the only view your threads feature means I can have a support area that works like a ticket system, but with just 1 login for everyone.

I used phpBB before on my personal website. But now i am using MyBB as it was recommended by most people. And also a friend of mine is using MyBB ;) So i thought to give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back