• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

best degree/uni for web design?

inn

I was wondering what's the best uni or ideal sort of degress course to look for if you want to go into web design and graphic making? I kinda do this stuff as a hobby and i'm considering taking it on as a career. So any ideas?

It might help to tell us what country you're in. Unless you are prepared to travel overseas to attend classes ;)

Most universities should have a degree in Graphic Design, which is your best bet.

Originally posted by Dusty
Well, he gives his location as Lincs. Lincs... Lincs... Lincolnshire, maybe? In that case, the UK.

Unless i've had a sex change recently hapen to be a she, and yea i live in Lincolnshire in the UK

I liked it better when all female names either ended in "ia" or "ette". Made everything a whole lot easier. :D

over here in the uk, once you go through college and gain a number of a levels, you can carry on with new media type courses, I have some information about it at my local colleges, the ones I have found require a levels first though... personally I would go for some art & design or graphic type course... which is what I am doing :D

Originally posted by inn
I was wondering what's the best uni or ideal sort of degress course to look for if you want to go into web design and graphic making? I kinda do this stuff as a hobby and i'm considering taking it on as a career. So any ideas?
At school did you do graphics as an option. That would help a lot. I'm sure if you contact a university they will tell you if they do courses in it or not.

Originally posted by Dusty
I liked it better when all female names either ended in "ia" or "ette". Made everything a whole lot easier. :D

LOL!

Anyway, no i didn't take graphics. At the moment I'm studying english litt, history, theatre and IT. I guess i should have taken maths or art or something but I'm kinda interested in journalism too (but i'm useless at spelling and grammar so :confused2 )

I've heard about these new media courses but thers so many of these courses about i havent a clue wher to start :(

Im not sure if this will sound rude or not but, can i see some of ur designs ive never really seen any that a girl has done and im interested ;)

Originally posted by majgik
Im not sure if this will sound rude or not but, can i see some of ur designs ive never really seen any that a girl has done and im interested ;)

I don't take that as rude, sexist maybe.. but not rude ;)

Erm I don't know what to show you really, recently i've been redoing a lot of the stuff i've done before. I use to have about 3 sites going at one time but they all closed down on me after the server decided 'we're not having free site hosting anymore' (grr), so its taking me ages to try and find a decent server. The only place i could show you at the moment which is still in reconstruction:
Darkness Rising
It's a site home of a virtual series for a friend of mine, i made the site from scratch and also the graphics. Only a few pages are up so far.

Anyway take a look and tell me what you think, be gentle with the criticism though ;) :)

Thats good, i aint a big fan on frames (ask SFighter86 i yell at him when he does frames unless its jus a temp site =oP) i like the graphics.. ur probably better than me all i can use is filters LaLaLa but um if u really need a host i can prolly setup u up wit like 50-100 megs on 1 of my servers (if i can get lucky and plesk is nice to me =oP)

btw: I didnt mean it to be sexist im sorry

Last edited:
I'm actually kinda frames fan but i can see why people dislike them.
Thanks for the offer of servers :) but i think im doing ok for the time being, I'm actually lacking time to do anything recently. What sort of stuff have you done?

by stuff do u mean what does the server support? cuz if not im currently making a romz site, a design site (wit a friend), and a gaming site.. as for the server it supports everything cept asp (allthough i could most likely get it)

Web Designers are a dime a dozen, the market is satuarated with them. Dont expect to pull in more than 30 a year. Keep it as a hobby but go for the skill that most do not have, like oracle dba and head over to georgia tech. Good luck ;)

Georgia USA? Inn lives in the UK :) I don't think she would want to uproot to go to another country to study. I am certain England has many fine learning centres :cool:

Originally posted by netacore.com
Web Designers are a dime a dozen, the market is satuarated with them. Dont expect to pull in more than 30 a year. Keep it as a hobby but go for the skill that most do not have, like oracle dba and head over to georgia tech. Good luck ;)
Very few people have a talent for both programming and design. Few people even have a talent for both graphical design and the markup bit.

Best way to get a reasonable income and lead a happy life is probably to choose the areas one enjoys the most and is naturally good at.

Back