• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Best Anti-Virus

What is the best Anti-Virus?

• Norton

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • McAfee

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Other

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I don't use them

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher

What is the best anti-virus program?

If you choose one, please give a reason why, and if there is any evidence other than just saying "It's better."

I want to know seriously which one is better, not just majority rules type thing...

I use Norton AV 2001 on XP. It works great. I used to have McAffee but it never caught any virus or trojan horse (and the DAT's were up-to-date).

[add]
I "fixed" NAV 2001 so it would work on XP :p. Only 2002 is supposed to work on XP.

I use norton, but my friend says that mcafee is better... Hes like "I put 12 viruses on a disk, then put the disk through a virus scan of both anti-virus's, mcafee picked up all of them, norton only 8..."

Norton too for me. Heard that they;'re more reliable...Really don't know. But I feel that they have a clean interface.

Norton is slow and a pain in the arse, but it's effective. 'sides, I've only gotten one virus in the last three years.

I like norton but I don't even have one right now. I have had a actual harmful virus once before it was called win95 virus.

Odd thing is, the microsoft developers don't use McAfee or Norton, they have some special thing, as I was told by my friend who programs for microsoft

I've gotten over 120 viruses in the past year, about 20 of which are trojans :biggrin2:

Most are just little worms, but still viruses.

Originally posted by Christopher
I've gotten over 120 viruses in the past year, about 20 of which are trojans :biggrin2:

Most are just little worms, but still viruses.
you open too many emails ;)

I use Norton, I like it best. Works great for me. Yeah--slow and steady wins the race (especially when you think you've got a virus!)

eTrust EZ (formerly Inoculate PE). Don't know if it's the best but it's good.

Why? A lost of times when a new virus has haunted email lists I'm on mine has detected it when neither Norton or McAfee have done so. I suspect the reason is it's very frequently updated sig files (at least daily, often more often). Small footprint too. Real time scanning doesn't slow my computer down.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Christopher
I use norton, but my friend says that mcafee is better... Hes like "I put 12 viruses on a disk, then put the disk through a virus scan of both anti-virus's, mcafee picked up all of them, norton only 8..."
I find that highly un-likely, norton has a way bigger virus definition database.

Is is possible to just make a program that tells you if there is something on your computer made to do something that could be harmful. Like it looks in the program and predicts what it would execute, and if it could or would do certain things warn the person?

Wait that would put a lot of companies out of buisness...

Originally posted by meow
eTrust EZ (formerly Inoculate PE). Don't know if it's the best but it's good.

Why? A lost of times when a new virus has haunted email lists I'm on mine has detected it when neither Norton or McAfee have done so. I suspect the reason is it's very frequently updated sig files (at least daily, often more often). Small footprint too. Real time scanning doesn't slow my computer down.
meow, it does scanning of your emails right? does it do it in the background, or do you have to tell it to scan your email manually?

I'm thinking of buying it, it's pretty cheap.

You can choose if you want it to do real-time scanning. I do, since it doesn't slow my system. (If you try it, note that you shouldn't set it to scan "all files" real time, than you've had it. :p). I seldom do a full disk scan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back