• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Beggars hate me.

I must be one of the lucky ones.... No beggers in this town, though when i've been on holiday it whole new story, I feel sorry for all the beggers that asked me for money for the "bus" to goto hospital or home.

I should just add. Begging in the united kingdom, and the united states, is one of the most well paid "Jobs" you can do.

thats true. alot of them in my city are rich.
I've only seen one bum lately, i see him everywhere. thing is, he has a dog, i feel sorry for the dog more than him. he isn't trying to get a job, thats clear. he just sits on the streets like all the time.

& about buying them food, that is what i only do. i remember one time, i was at the bowling alley with friends, and we where going to McDs, and there was this guy outside, clearly homeless. asking for food, not money, food. so i did, i told him to come in, and i bought him a big mac meal. and the ---'s at McD's phoned the police, to get him kicked out. well, to cut it short, at that point i flipped (i'm not made angry easy, nor do i like to make a scene) but he did nothing wrong and they phoned the police.

there is alot of people in my city selling the big issue though, but i don't see them as homeless, as they have a job. not a nice job, but still a job.

Heave Hammering: Yeah, around here when I offer food almost everyone will start thanking me over and over again and say "God bless!" a few times. I also go downtown with my Dad every few weeks and hand out clothes and such. I've only run into one person who refused my offer to buy them food when they asked for money ... Poverty's a big problem in Atlanta, unfortunately. It's a little bit depressing when you realize they aren't junkies trying to get their quick fix and they really do need some help.

Now, that's not to say there aren't Junkies here. There are plenty ... I'm walking distance from Crack/Smack Alley ...
I live in Belgium. We have a social system (or how you want to call it) If you're unemployed but willing to work (but you can't find offers, etc) you get a minimum amount of money that should be enough to survive. It's quite a lot : more than 500€ (almost 800$). If people still are begging they are junkies not willing to get a job.

I live in Belgium. We have a social system (or how you want to call it) If you're unemployed but willing to work (but you can't find offers, etc) you get a minimum amount of money that should be enough to survive. It's quite a lot : more than 500€ (almost 800$). If people still are begging they are junkies not willing to get a job.

Interesting. Canada has welfare too..not sure how it works with the homeless...but I think it;s enough to survive..not sure about the living arrangements though.

in the UK thats called "the doal", or JobSeekers. whatever one.
it's not alot though, like over there :eek3:
about £50 or something.

In the UK it varies, there are 3 types (and it's the broo, the social, the dole, along with varous others) - and yes it's a sorry amout of cash for those without a job even though they want one (and a &*^% poor service to get them one) to live on (irony in there but unless you know what it is and what you can't get for it it means little).

1. The poor deserving of help sod!
Usually a he, a poor fleabitten sod, who's life has collapsed, beyond saving and the system in the UK (social services, feel free to laugh out loud) has just abandoned (yes they do that, as there's no press value in number 1).
They just survive day to day and do occassionally require a few handouts to make it through the next day. No point in offering a bed a shower a meal, just don't give whilst off-licenses are still open and ignore if you want to be verbally abused or just make a polite help on passing, usually greeted with respect for even noticing they are there.
Can't be helped with your resources unless your rich.

2. The poor but trying.
These folks actually try and help themselves,not always to a point where they can even afford a bed or even get to a positon where they would be considered for one (again UK social services/Westminster Governments abolish poverty, again feel free to laugh, in a mocking fashion now).
Some do manage and it's with taking the elements we would hide from, freezing cold, driving winds and pouring rain. Just to sell a magazine for homeless for a small profit for each copy to allow them some comforts.
Some also end up still on the streets adn may be a bit 'merry' due to using drink to keep out the cold or just make the time pass quicker.
Usually friendly and not as scruffy, as they try to keep clean and presentable.
(short version but it's easy to interpret)

3. The despicable feckin leeches.
Now these are drug ridden scum that will do nothing for themselves and very often actually 'beg' as hobby/money spinner/setup to mug you.
Some too riddled to do any of the above but still try. Will use every penny to get their next fix.
Usually if you pass by you will get abuse, turn around confront them (as in ask them to repeat what they said in a firm voice), that should stop them following you shouting abuse as they have no clue when to give up.
Don't use any of the methods above (for 1. & 2.) for No.3 as it doesn't work, you get a Klingon, just ignore them (if it works out you made the wrong choice a kind word does defuse it easily)
These people are the type to have had possible help from the ones that should be helping 1. & 2. and abused it so wasting the resources.
If in doubt kick No.3 inthe nuts - sometimes No.3 comes in female form, usually with child or offering services you don't want to have the legacy of (or the frequent visits to the clinic) this is different but usually being firm and using a term of non-intamacy is appropriate. the child may be borrowed from another No. 3 or if not they will have a place to live due to circumstance so they are on the 'con'

Hope this helps as a guide to Glasgow City Center (which takes in many tourist routes), Edinburgh City Center (again around the city) and most London train & bus stations, possibly more.

Last edited:
Hmm.. The welfare system in Canada is corrupted by lazy bums. I remember when I got my first part-time job, there was such a person working there. She was working full-time like any other person for years (6-8 hours per day, 30-40 hours per week). One day, she asked for a schedule change. She wanted to only work 20 hours a week, AKA 4 hours a day.

What's the reason you ask? Apparently it was because she was making too much money to keep taking welfare. Sheesh.. Wasting OUR tax money.

Get this sometimes when I go to the city right next to mine. When I go down to Toronto to either the Rogers center or Molson Ampitheatre, they are hundreds of them everywhere.

I won't say screw you Rogers or call it the Skydome out of spite. Rogers is a reliable company who bought out the venue, what can I say.

Corazu: I go up to Rich mans hill rather often. Kind of up near Vaughan.

Last edited:
[DWH]Yuxuan;976086 said:
Heh.. Reminds me of Ottawans' reactions to the name change of the Corel Centre to Scotiabank Place.

I mean really, who cares. Occasionally in conversation I'll misspeak and say Skydome, but I correct myself. It's a name, it's not like it was Martin Luther King building and changing the name is disrespectful. Torontonians are just stubborn. :)

Naw, I'm sure it is like that everywhere (for example, Ottawa). People just complain because it is new and unfamiliar, takes a while getting used. Anyways, one should always expect the names of these sport centres to be changing. Their sponsors are always changing, and they need money, so they satisfy their sponsors.

[DWH]Yuxuan;976095 said:
Naw, I'm sure it is like that everywhere (for example, Ottawa). People just complain because it is new and unfamiliar, takes a while getting used. Anyways, one should always expect the names of these sport centres to be changing. Their sponsors are always changing, and they need money, so they satisfy their sponsors.

It was 3 years ago though. I guess it takes these people to have kids and for their kids to know it only as what it is now.

Heh.. 3 years is quite a bit of time now that you mention it. But ya, I guess if you knew it all your life as one thing, then BOOM it changes to something else, it will take quite a bit of getting used to.

[DWH]Yuxuan;976075 said:
Hmm.. The welfare system in Canada is corrupted by lazy bums. I remember when I got my first part-time job, there was such a person working there. She was working full-time like any other person for years (6-8 hours per day, 30-40 hours per week). One day, she asked for a schedule change. She wanted to only work 20 hours a week, AKA 4 hours a day.

What's the reason you ask? Apparently it was because she was making too much money to keep taking welfare. Sheesh.. Wasting OUR tax money.

What age are you? How long have you been paying into it?

Wasting OUR tax money

Ever looked into why?

I'm 19, and I will admit, I didn't exactly pay a lot of taxes yet. But hardworking people like my dad has to pay more than 30% of his income into taxes... To be spent on who? Lazy freeloaders.

I don't mind if the taxes were spent into something productive, ie, healthcare, roadways (the roads are crap here), education, or people who genuinely need the money, etc. But people like her (mentioned above) make me angry.

Last edited:
Get this sometimes when I go to the city right next to mine. When I go down to Toronto to either the Rogers center or Molson Ampitheatre, they are hundreds of them everywhere.

I won't say screw you Rogers or call it the Skydome out of spite. Rogers is a reliable company who bought out the venue, what can I say.

Corazu: I go up to Rich mans hill rather often. Kind of up near Vaughan.

Well I have other beefs with rogers (cheaper and unlimited HDSPA plzkthx!)

But changing a historic name like the Skydome to a sleazy marketing effort...just stupid. I mean, the Rogers Skydome would have been cool with me, but Rogers Centre?

And I live in Richmond Hill :)

Oh what a feckin waste of 30 years of being here.

Any chance any of you are actually good?

Back