• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Backup Dedicated Server Required

papa_face

Hi

I require a server which will be used as a backup server with the following specs as a minimum:

4GB RAM
4x 1TB HDD
1GBPS port
30TB bandwidth
RAID10

Not bothered about the processor just something capable of performing decently.

Budget: <$125 per month

Thank you

You're going to be looking at a $200 p/m server minimum. I feel that you're way under budget.

Completely agree. $200 is very doable. The big issue is going to be the RAID 10 array and 30TB of bandwidth. Each of those isn't going to be particularly cheap. I can get really close to that price without the 30TB of bandwidth.

Quick question. When you say back-up server...are you actually going to serve pages from this, or you using it to store backups from your main server?

well... if you want to create "off-site backups", there is backupdragon.com but I haven't tried them so dont know if they're worth it... (and also not sure if they give dedicated ;))

EDIT: okay... they give VPS...

Another EDIT: do you really need that much RAM for a backup server?

Last edited:
RAM is so dirt cheap these days, it doesn't really matter. Going down to 2GB might save $10/mo or so.

Yes its cheap... but dont you think its a waste in a server where you'll just be putting backup archives? I think the major "things" that are needed are large Disk Space/Bandwidth high internet speed...

Yes its cheap... but dont you think its a waste in a server where you'll just be putting backup archives? I think the major "things" that are needed are large Disk Space/Bandwidth high internet speed...

Like I said, it might save $10/mo. at most going down to 2GB. That's specifically why I'm trying to find out what he plans on using this for. If it's just for backups only, he certainly does not need RAID10 either. Without the RAID10 (and maybe a bit less bandwidth), I can get darn close to his original price.

RAM is so dirt cheap these days, it doesn't really matter. Going down to 2GB might save $10/mo or so.

Depends on where you go. Premium datacenters charge a lot more than $5 per GB. I use SoftLayer and they charge $25 per GB.

When I mean backup, I mean 3 servers worth of data will be transferred to it as a store incase anything happens with the live servers. Nothing will be served by this backup server.
The specs were a guide only with the exception of the HDD space and bandwidth.

If all you're doing is just using it as storage IN CASE something happens to your other boxes, you wouldn't even need RAID. You can lower the RAM down to about 1 or 2 GB since you're not going to be serving content. 2 TB hard drives are pretty cheap these days you could get away with with just 1 2TB hard drive, or two 2TB hard drives if you're doing RAID 1. By doing so, you could probably cut the cost of this thing down to almost half.

With 3 servers worth it's worth it, and there is no indication of how important the backup is, so RAID 10 (okay 5 with a parity disk) would be the preferred.

RAM can be less, but again slows massive transfers dependent on the disk controllers, and for that amount 4G is not bad.

I think they have a reasonable spec, so get back to the bidding guys :)

Yeah, but how much are you really willing to spend for a backup of a backup anyway? Most people would just put raid on their production machines and forget the backup machine entirely. Just seems like a waste.

Also, I think the port cap and the overall network that the box is on would have more to do with data transfer speed than the amount of RAM in the server.

RAID shouldn't be used on production servers to serve as a backup as RAID is specifically not a backup technology - more of a redundancy tool. Backup should always be offsite with mirroring RAID as a minimum across as many HDDs as possible.

Can we stop the debates and perhaps get me some prices?

Depends on where you go. Premium datacenters charge a lot more than $5 per GB. I use SoftLayer and they charge $25 per GB.

Unfortunately, that's why I left ThePlanet when SoftLayer took over. I had quite a few boxes, but SL decided to charge ridiculous amounts for hardware upgrades. Given it is a premium datacenter, but there's no reason to charge the prices they charge. Their hardware does not cost that much. They should simply raise the prices on the base servers if they want.

Dual Core
4GB DDR3
(4) 2TB SATA HDD (Software RAID for free, HW RAID unavailable)
/29 block of IPs
5TB outgoing bandwidth, free inbound (100mpbs)
$149

Q8200 Quad Core
8GB RAM
(4) 1TB SATA HDD, Hardware RAID 10
/29 block of IPs
5TB, free inbound (100mpbs)
$199

Q8200 Quad Core
2GB RAM
(4) 1TB SATA HDD, Software RAID 10
/29 block of IPs
30TB Bandwidth (1gbps)
$199

Q8200 Quad Core
4GB RAM
(4) 1TB SATA HDD, Hardware RAID 10
/29 block of IPs
30TB Bandwidth (1gbps)
$229

I'm still looking.

So far the best offer I've had is with FDC:
Dual core E5200
2GB ram
4 x 1TB HDD
Gbit with 3TB outgoing traffic and 330TB incoming
$149/mon

1GB connection is a must, I can't make do without it.
RAID is optional. Not too bothered about it.

I say go for it. I doubt you're going to find cheaper than that, to be honest.

The cheapest I can go on this one is $179 with a gbit port. 5TB outgoing, free incoming bandwidth.

Dual Core
4GB DDR3
(4) 2TB SATA HDD (Software RAID for free, HW RAID unavailable)
/29 block of IPs
5TB outgoing bandwidth, free inbound
$149

Back