• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Backing up some files, Do viruses/trojans do any harm if they were zipped?

XeonGX

Hello,
Recently, I got a trojan that is self spreading, and when I tried to delete it with AVG, it doesn't get removed, it keeps coming back.
I have some important files that I will have to back up, and I think that the trojan might have copied itself into those folders.
So if I zip the whole folder, and wipe out my hard drive, re-install windows, and scan the zip again to delete the virus, would it work?
Is the virus able to do any harm if I put it in a zip?

Wooooo don't go that far at the moment, do you know what the file is called if so goto Taskmanager -> Process -> Find the process which has the file name of the virus -> right click on it -> End process tree -> attempt to delete the file.

The problem is that I don't want to risk anything, someone already tried to take away funds from my bank account through paypal.. :(
So if the trojan was in the zip, and I re-install windows, will it be able to effect the fresh installtion of windows while its inside the zip?

you've got major spyware too dude.
i suggest downloading the norton trial and getting your PC scanned. possiably buy a good anti-virus, not using AVG. Maybe get SpyWare doctor too, that works a treat.

Find the name of the virus, google it and see if theres a way to remove it.

If AVG cant remove it from the files now, it wont after you reformat either.

Backup on USB, use an ubuntu live cd or reboot in safe mode, and check the USB. Delete all files that you don't need anymore and that could be viruses.
Then re-install windows (or ubuntu :))

yes they do. if they are in your windows folder. you never fully remove files after a reformat. they still exist on the PC.

Partly correct. But totally wrong.

Someone needs to read up on their filesystems and electronics.

Partly correct. But totally wrong.

Someone needs to read up on their filesystems and electronics.

correct. it may leave a tine piece somewhere, but, not anything that will be able to do anything to your system. i tend to do a quick format, cancel the install and then do a full format, just to get a even cleaner drive. after hitting it a couple times, it is not going to be there or be able to do anything.

Viruses or any files can't 'survive' after a reformat.

mmm.. thing is he intends to keep some files. Hes asking about what happens if he zips them. So in other works, he plans on keeping atleast some of the infected files.

yes they do. if they are in your windows folder. you never fully remove files after a reformat. they still exist on the PC.

Dead wrong.
Ok, so the files still exist, however you OS will not treat them as real files, it will not execute or use them in any way, unless you MANUALLY unerase them. And no, you wont be abel to recover them via a simple method like recycle bin.

if he plans to keep infected files in a zip and not use them, that is just stupid. if you arent going to use them, then why would you keep a file on your computer that could potentially harm it. just back up important file that you need and that are not infected, reformat the drive, and be on your merry way.

Dead wrong.
Ok, so the files still exist, however you OS will not treat them as real files, it will not execute or use them in any way, unless you MANUALLY unerase them. And no, you wont be abel to recover them via a simple method like recycle bin.

thats what i meant.
guess only i understood ._.

The filesystem index is just reset. Everything is still on the disk, but the index that points to the part of the disk that stores that data is just reset.

So unless you are going to be manually editing the filesystem index anytime soon, you have nothing to worry about (After the reinstall that is)

Thanks for the replys.
I managed to backup all of my important files, I even did a secure earse on the hard drive. Thank god this one went without any damage :).
From now on, I'll just use my mac for any important online activiy.

Or.. You could do it the hard way & scan each file seperatly if your scared the virus might regenerate... I recommend Avast.

Itprotj

Thanks for the replys.
I managed to backup all of my important files, I even did a secure earse on the hard drive. Thank god this one went without any damage :).
From now on, I'll just use my mac for any important online activiy.

I'm quite sure a lot of us uses Windows for important online activity too. So perhaps the best method to approach this problem is to not download anything suspicious online. :)

So perhaps the best method to approach this problem is to not download anything suspicious online. :)

:lol: your taking the proverbial right :)

Easiest way, get an external HDD caddy, take the disk out of the infected machine and put it in it.
Get another machine, a friends or whatever if need be, that has fully up to date AV (a good one) and plug it in and recover the files if possible. If they're infected they get cleaned, quarentined, deleted depending on severity.
IT has came a long way since the old days :p

Main thing is not to download illegal/suspicious stuff.

I have no virus scanner / antivirus on windows vista and I've never had a virus (I check processes in task manager every once and a while)

Main thing is not to download illegal/suspicious stuff.

I have no virus scanner / antivirus on windows vista and I've never had a virus (I check processes in task manager every once and a while)

I got a big list that tells me all the safe process's that are used is the computers in my house an check al the computers process list every month and if there's one not on the list I check it on google and then if it's safe add it to the list, God knows how many viruses I have found my brothers PC..... I keep on telling him not to download stuff of limewire? does he listen to me? no.

Back