• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Asus master hd password

GeorgeB

Chairman/CEO TMCG
NLC
We bought a small asus 1 1/2 years ago, and bought it to use on vacations. I decided to upgrade software on it, but some how we ended up putting a hd password on it. Cant get into dos or anything without this password. Any idea how to disable it, or is there a master passcode that will work?

I assume you're talking about a BIOS password. You'll have to locate the CMOS reset jumper on the motherboard. Or you can pull the CMOS battery out for a while until the BIOS is cleared.

I assume you're talking about a BIOS password. You'll have to locate the CMOS reset jumper on the motherboard. Or you can pull the CMOS battery out for a while until the BIOS is cleared.

Yes, I am assuming that it is a bios password. It enabled for the hard drive. Without windows will not boot. I will try your suggestion after lunch today.

I saw that idea on a few other forums last night, but some of them didn't seem like they knew what they were talking about, so I figured this be the best place to ask.

Other sites said to leave the BIOS or CMOS battery out for 10 to 20 mins, is that right, or is it more like 2 or 3 mins?

2 to 3 minutes might not be sufficient as voltage could still be stored in the capacitors. 10 to 20 minutes should work fine though. Also, make sure it's not plugged to AC or have the battery in.

2 to 3 minutes might not be sufficient as voltage could still be stored in the capacitors. 10 to 20 minutes should work fine though. Also, make sure it's not plugged to AC or have the battery in.

Yeah, I will be sure to remove both when I do it later. Will let you know if it does or doesn't work.

Okay, I took the small door off, but there was no battery there. I tried taking the whole back off, but that also was no good. Took all the screws out, but it wouldn't come off.

The PC is one of those real small ones, so it doesn't have a CD drive, so I cant just simply re install windows, etc.

This is beginning to annoy me.

Reinstalling windows would not solve the issue. The BIOS passwords have nothing to do with Windows. George, what is the make and model of the computer?

Is an Asus EEE pc. Windows 7. It has an ACPI bios SYSTEM. It gets to a black screen that says "American Megatrends" at the top.

Then it gives some slight info about the laptop, and then says "Hard Disk Locked, Enter user password"

On those you can't just unscrew a "compartment" and access it. You'll have to completely remove the keyboard and the cover below that in order to get to it.

On those you can't just unscrew a "compartment" and access it. You'll have to completely remove the keyboard and the cover below that in order to get to it.

I hope to remove the keyboard, doesn't require the four screws in the four corners on the bottom of the laptop. If so, one of them is stripped slightly, and will not cooperate.

If I dont have to do that, then how do I remove the keyboard, and the component underneath.

Additionally, from what I have gathered from Google, there should be a master, master password for all Bios systems. Unfortunately, I cannot find one for ACPI Bios.

I don't know about any master password. If so, that kind of defeats the whole purpose of locking it if the password is public knowledge, which it undoubtedly would be.

Well since I took it out and put it back without messing it up, and didnt know what it was, yeah I am okay.

Question is, will it do the job?

It's hard to know for sure. I'm always leary about "shorting" anything out because there's always the possibility of ruining something for good. If it was me, I'd suck it up, remove the keyboard and do it right.

drill it out.

Well with that screw being very small, I don't think drilling it out would work real well. Probably break the corner off.

I have tried so many things, minus the batter.

I even tried the option mentioned earlier, but when I removed the door, and the RAM, I didn't see anything it talked about.

Just got to figure out a way to either disable HD password, or get to the battery.

Do what you can to remove the keyboard and do it right. That's the best advice I can give. If you can't get the screw out, it will have to be drilled with a small drill bit. Maybe you could use a dremel on it.

Do what you can to remove the keyboard and do it right. That's the best advice I can give. If you can't get the screw out, it will have to be drilled with a small drill bit. Maybe you could use a dremel on it.

Once I get the screw out, if possible, then will the keyboard just lift up?

Back