• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

AOL disconnects MSN Messenger users!

mattsoft

http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,21148,00.html

anyone having trouble with msn disconnecting on you? it just started for me today, so I did a little research on it. a friend of mine was having the same problem, but said it turned out to be a virus. I have 2 virus scanners scanning my computer at the moment and nothing found. then I found this article. aol is disconnecting msn users. I don't support microsoft or aol as companies, but I will pick msn messenger over aim any day. try closing aim, then see if msn disconnects for you anymore.

Robert said:
so what is the problem? you are accessing AIM through a program that AOL didn't approve.

my msn messenger was open for 16+ hours without one disconnect. today I open aim messenger and get disconnected 5 times in 2 hours. I am using aim for the aim network and msn for the msn network. I'm not mixing the networks and programs in any way that I know of. but I closed aim and haven't been disconnected once in the last hour.

Robert said:
so what is the problem? you are accessing AIM through a program that AOL didn't approve.

No. If you use AIM and MSN, if both programs are open at the same time, AIM will disconnect MSN.

anyone know if icq does that now too? I haven't tried it, but it's owned by aol, so very possible.

btw daniel, megalomaniac, good song by incubus :biggrin2:

Last edited:
I just noticed, that article is from 1999. it's possible it's still in effect, cuz it's been 5 hours since I closed aim and still no disconnects. finished 2 different virus scans and an ad-ware scan and found nothing.

Back