• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

anyone using xml for designing sites?

niekas

i see that everyone is talking about it xml, xhtml, xsl, xblah-xblah. I read quite a few articles and browsed through a few books on the subject. i got very basic idea on it - structured content and separating content from the code. But why its so revolutionary ? whats the fuss?

I have

I've used it but i don't think the ordinary designer will benifit from it. I think they will stick with html. It would be much easier and there are some benefits but only for the advanced user (imho)

why is it? well i read a lil about it that reason is cuz you can make up your own XML codes.. heh ;p

Like in CSS you know you put H1 (for header 1) then all the fonts and all well you can make your own like for instance 56 (instead of h1) and make it it could be helpful

Hmm... Maybe becos with XML, they can make their own definitions for certain codes?

hmm

but why its so good? whats the point making your own definitions and codes?
why would i benefit from that?
i know that i can put
<book>
book 1
book 2
</book>

<author>
author 1
aurhor 2
<author>

its good for having your content defined and separated from the code.

how would you compare running xml website to plain html?
updating?
i think i just have to try xml...
and see what a hell it is

I think XML is more suitable for database. Because you need to set up those DTD stuff in XML, and might be a bit unnecessary if HTML can do the same design.

you right

but why you need xml to define your content if you using database - its already defined by the tables, colums, blah blah? im sorry for beeing ignorant - cant grasp it.

Back