• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

AMD BIOS and HW configuration

leetcrew

I got a problem. I have 1800+ Mhz processor. But my board only detects 1460 Mhz using default values. The FSB was set on 133Mhz.

139 x 13 = 1.8 Ghz. <- detected as 1.53 Ghz.
133 x (default) <- 1.46 Ghz
139 x default <- 1.53 Ghz

(MSI board, jumperless)

MSI recommends 133 x 11.5 for the AMD Athlon XP1800+ and the actual clock speed of that CPU should be 1533 MHz.
AMD uses an odd metric for their XP chips which is based on a benchmark, and not on clock speed. The XP1800+ isn't 1.8 GHz.

The 1800 on your Athlon XP is the MX(or something like that) rating, not mhz.

Anyways, I'm running my Athlon XP 2000+(1667 mhz) at 1700 mhz w/ stock cooling. Not much but I can push it to 1750 w/ stock but the temps would be around 65 &degC.

I can't wait till I get my TT SLK-7 with a nice 80mm fan. :cool:

Like rick said, the new naming scheme doesn't reflect clock speed. It just means that it beats an Intel Pentium chip of that number (For example, the 1800+ beats an Intel Pentium 4 1.8Ghz)

A Athlon XP 1800+ sure beats a p4 2.0ghz too.

And the Athlon 1600+, for $53 USD, beats the P4 1.8ghz.

Originally posted by raz0r
but isnt that the old p4 artechture ?

Nope. The Palomino AMD Athlon XP 1800+ beats both p4 2.0ghz. The thoroughbred 1800+ beats the 2.2ghz.

Uh, they call it PR for a reason.

The Athlon XP 1800+ will not beat the P4 2.0GHz Northwood.

There is a reason why AMD recently changed their Performance Rating for the Athlon XP 2600+. It no longer uses the old formula, it now needs 100MHz more to keep the same rating.

It's a matter of opinion, but mine is that dollar for dollar, and clock for clock, AMD is a superior product to any of Intels offerings in a desktop environment. Unfortunately, they don't have the advertising budget of Intel, and their main focus is industrial applications rather than the consumer market, but they still have the best CPU's out there.
In the notebook world, Intel is the processor of choice solely for its cooler operating temps

Back