• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Alternative to no-ip mail reflector? ISP-blocked port 25

redfirebird.com

so my isp blocks inbound port 25 to prevent you from running a simple little private mail server for your own domain. not only that, but the jerks block outbound port 25 to any server except their mailserver, so if you want to send non-web-based email it MUST go through their servers.

anyway I run my own mailserver on a port other than 25, and use no-ip.com's mail reflector service : http://www.no-ip.com/services.php/mail/reflector
to redirect my email to my non-standard port

I was wondering if anyone knows of an alternative to this service? any other companies offering this same thing ? Just trying to do some comparison shopping..

ISPs blocking outgoing port 25 is a good thing.
You can check with your host, several allow incoming, authenticated SMTP on a different port, so you'd still be able to send mail through their mail server from your regular mail client.

get a cheap hosting account with a provider and have your email served by a legit server... they block your ports for a reason, lots of spam sent from cable home connections.

just want to know how to do it

thanks for your response. i just want to know how to set it up on my system even though it does not work.

thanks.

Install it, change the MX entry for your domain, add a SMTP relay server, add accounts and you're done.
The time it will take goes from a few minutes for the more simple ones to a few hours for something the size of Exchange Server and the like.

Thanks for the explanation. but i can't understand what you have explained. I need you to explain to me on lame man terms and with more details please.

It's difficult to be any more specific when you haven't even said which mail server you want to install and on what platform.

There's still the question of what you need your own mail server for in the first place? :confused4

As a side note, you should really start a thread about this in the Computers forum since your question doesn't really relate to hosting anymore.

thank you very much for your email. I am running windows 2000 and i would like to install the best mail server recommended by you.

thanks.

Besides paid software, I don't have any idea of a freeware Windows email server. That's why I suggested starting a thread in the computers forum.

Dynu.com has email/store forward service that does the same thing. They will receive emails for your domain name and send to your email server on a port that you specify.

Back