• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

After Katrina its Rita

Romeo18 said:
We need to keep everyone in prayer that will be effected greatly from this storm. I mean Katrina wasn't a 5 and look at all the destruction that it caused. Just imagine what Rita will leave behind once she comes and goes......
well you have to understand where katrina hit: the alabama, mississippi area, right? that area i'd say doesnt have as great infrastructure as other places in the united states, so they'd go through a lot more damage than a more developed area in the united states, which i think texas should be. also, a big portion of the damage was on new orleans, caused by levies breaking...and new orleans being in a bowl. i dont think rita will hit anything like that in texas.

then again it all depends whether rita's a dry or wet storm. wet = lotta rain, floods will destroy everything. and most of the damage of hurricanes comes from the tornados its spawns, i believe... tornados + water = fun. as long as rita's translating at a very fast speed, it'll be good; least amount of damage in a singular area. (as opposed to go say 5 mph and kicking --- of that one place)

Last edited:
I'm dreading this thing so much. I feel really sorry for the people on the coast and people having to evacuate though. :/

I think The Woodlands is around Houston by the way. I could be wrong.

Webdude is a fair bit away, but still reasonably close. But who knows where this beast will change course. Last report I saw it was heading more to East Tx/La area :(

If I remember correctly, I think The Woodlands is one of the places where people were evacuating to! So I assume it's out of the path although I haven't bothered to look it up yet.

Well, Webdude is the closest thing I have to actually knowing anyone in the area, so I was curious. Hopefully he's ok. Maybe he can take shelter in his mullet.

Rita hit as a catagory 2 .. my cousin and her family went to dallas from houston.. however i guess coming back would be a challange as the mayor is telling people not to return just yet. and my cousin's husband is now worried of other stuff like looting while they are away..

They better not flood the ServerMatrix datacenter in dallas. Cuz then millions of sites are gonna be serverless.

The hurricane Rita is gone now but the damage done by it will take months to recover. The worst part of any hurricane is the sporadic looting which takes place which shows some human beings will always think about their pockets.

Blank Verse said:
Well, Webdude is the closest thing I have to actually knowing anyone in the area, so I was curious. Hopefully he's ok. Maybe he can take shelter in his mullet.
He's okay, been gasbagging on another forum :p

Took down one of my trees, which then took down a small section of my chain link in the back yard. Thats all the damage I got. Power went out Saturday at 2AM. Came back Sunday at 9PM.

I was prepared. I had several cases frozen bottled water, several cases unfrozen in normal fridge, several 5 gallon containers of water for wash and toilets, two bathtubs full of water, plenty of nonperishable foods, full tanks on of gas both truck and electric generator, plus about 30 gallons of gas on the side.

While the highway was littered with vehicles that had run out of gas, and no gas to be found within 50 mile radious, or more if you went north, I was cruising the highway checking things out. Of course, I didnt go cruising till friday night, which is when it was all clear. Evacuation was complete before the storm hit, which was wonderful. I wasnt sure if it would be.

So yep, everything was fine. People were evacuating "thru" The Woodlands, not "to" it. I dont know how strong the winds got as I slept on and off thru most of it, but it took a lot of trees down, and a lot of power lines. No damage to my house, not even a lost shingle. Oh wait, I did lose my outer glass door. Thats only because I opened the door during the winds, and it blew off it's hinges and it flew across the yard..LOL. That was fun. I stood on the porch and let the winds and sprinkles of rain hit me. As hot as it's been here, that felt really good.

Webdude said:
Took down one of my trees, which then took down a small section of my chain link in the back yard. Thats all the damage I got. Power went out Saturday at 2AM. Came back Sunday at 9PM.

I was prepared. I had several cases frozen bottled water, several cases unfrozen in normal fridge, several 5 gallon containers of water for wash and toilets, two bathtubs full of water, plenty of nonperishable foods, full tanks on of gas both truck and electric generator, plus about 30 gallons of gas on the side.

While the highway was littered with vehicles that had run out of gas, and no gas to be found within 50 mile radious, or more if you went north, I was cruising the highway checking things out. Of course, I didnt go cruising till friday night, which is when it was all clear. Evacuation was complete before the storm hit, which was wonderful. I wasnt sure if it would be.

So yep, everything was fine. People were evacuating "thru" The Woodlands, not "to" it. I dont know how strong the winds got as I slept on and off thru most of it, but it took a lot of trees down, and a lot of power lines. No damage to my house, not even a lost shingle. Oh wait, I did lose my outer glass door. Thats only because I opened the door during the winds, and it blew off it's hinges and it flew across the yard..LOL. That was fun. I stood on the porch and let the winds and sprinkles of rain hit me. As hot as it's been here, that felt really good.

That's cool! So where is The Woodlands in relation to Houston?

Mandrake said:
That's cool! So where is The Woodlands in relation to Houston?

30 miles North of the I-10 and I-45 intersection in Houston....well not intersection per se, but where they come together. The Woodlands is between Spring and Conroe. It is also a corporation (Woodlands Corporation), not a local city government like other communties are.

Last edited:
i am more worried about the animals then the people because every one thee is there to help the people but who do the animals have to go to?? this is where peta comes in go to www.peta2.com and donate to the animals in crises :)

veggie1232 said:
i am more worried about the animals then the people because every one thee is there to help the people but who do the animals have to go to?? this is where peta comes in go to www.peta2.com and donate to the animals in crises :)

PETA is as much in reality for animal rights as Osama is about saving lives. Peta says if killing one mouse could save a million people, they would be against it. That is straight from the big boss's mouth, whom her herself uses insulin, which comes from pigs. I guess animal products is ok if it's for "them".

http://peta-sucks.com/print_peta_killsanimals.jpg

veggie1232 said:

Donating to peta is like donating to Osama Bin Laden.

Back