• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Adware and Spyware Issues

Dan

Bullah
NLC
I seem to have some adware and spyware issues.
I have downloaded the latest version of AVG 8 Free and also Spybot and Adaware 2009 but they will not update. Therefore, their databases come up as out of date.

When I click Update for AVG, for example, it says that it has failed to connect to the update server and to check Internet Connection. This has been the case for 2 days now.
Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do to get all of this sorted?

Thanks in advance.

Ok, have cleaned everything with Spyware Terminator and the integrated Clam AV. However, not sure if Peo has installed any pop-up ads etc here but sometimes when I go to a forum such as Ads and Offers or this one (Computers), I get a pop-up ad.
Does anyone else get them?

Actually Spyware Blaster does not run in the background. It just does some magic tricks to your configuration and registry in order to block software, at least that is my understanding.

Anyone know where I can get a good Adware Remover for free?
I have Adaware 2008 but for some reason, none of the tools I have such as Adaware, Spybot etc can connect to their update servers so they are basically useless.

o_O I have SpyBot S&D and it's updating just fine.

Conscript, I'm not too sure about it running in the background but it seems to be active all the time according to what it can do to help protect your PC :S

Man this is freakingly weird.

When I go to Google.com.au in the status bar, while google is loading, it says "ecata.info" whatever the feck that is.
Also, when I click a link in google, it brings me to a different site rather than the intended one.
For example, if I search Google for Freewebspace it shows the results for Freewebspace.Net but if I click the hyperlink it will bring me somewhere else.

I understand it's Adware etc, but having a hard time getting rid of this ----.

That sounds like some serious adware alright. How about booting in safe-mode and running updates on your spyware-killing softwares?

It gets worse.

I can't open my c drive via My Computer either.
Here's a screenshot: http://www.danriordan.net/cdrive.JPG

I do know it's Malware and have downloaded and run malwarebytes but, although it detected about 17 infections and killed them, the problems are still there.

Do you guys reckon a reformat is in order?

Update - Malwarebytes seems to have sorted the issues out with ads and google redirects etc. It's a Browser Hyjacking virus that's going around so make sure you are well protected.

I still have the issue with the C Drive though.

Interesting... can you run your updates properly now? It's best to update, immunize and scan once more ASAP.

Just for the record, sometimes Viruses and Trojans and such modify the DNS so that the anti-virus software wouldn't be able to update with the latest information and detect the virus in question.
All you gotta do is flushdns and make sure that the date modified of the files in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc is not recent. :)

Just for the record, sometimes Viruses and Trojans and such modify the DNS so that the anti-virus software wouldn't be able to update with the latest information and detect the virus in question.
All you gotta do is flushdns and make sure that the date modified of the files in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc is not recent. :)

The issue here was ecata.info is a Browser Hyjacker so be careful there folks.
When you clock on links or search google, ecata will send you somewhere else rather than your intended destination and therefore you end up on some random site obviously full of viruses.

Back